Anyway to keep them from killing the grass? (answered! Thanks!)

RocketChick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Hey!

I have a nice backyard to let some new chickens go free-range but I don't want the grass that takes up most of the backyard to die! Is there anyway to have them be able to eat some etc without the grass dying? Or is it their poo that kills the grass? Any spray I can use to keep them away? My parents dont want to fence the grass off so...? Is that the only thing I can do?

And sorry, not sure where I should put this...thanks!

Last edited:
It depends on the size of your yard and the number of chickens. Free range chickens that aren't overcrowded won't hurt the grass. They will, however, till up and ruin vegetable plants and some flowers. There is no repellant. The only way to keep them away from something forbidden is with fencing.

Last edited:
If you have an especially well kept lawn, do your parents use any kind of weed or insect killer? Those are toxic to chickens.

The only place they will tear up grass is in the run. My free-ranges have actually made my lawn in the backyard much nice. Remove bugs, kill the weeds, breaking up clay, etc.......

However, I've had to fence in my veggie and flower gardens which they destroy

It will be 2-3 chickens and the yard is 100 ft long and about 60 ft wide. (Only 100 ft down the sides, but about 60 ft from the back to the house) There is a big square of grass in the center and then the rest is cement/sand/bark depending what area of the backyard. No garden.

What about their poop? If its in the grass, do I just leave it in there? Wash it out? Does it hurt the grass?

Last edited:
Sorry, late reply, but sounds good! Nope, don't use any harmful chemicals.
smile.png
Thanks!

Oh but still would like chicken poo question to be answered. Thanks!

In accordance to the chicken poo, I would think it'd actually be beneficial to the grass. Farmers use chicken manure all the time on their crops. However, it also depends on the size of the yard. If it's too small, there'll be too much poo, which could be hazardous. But, don't quote me on that! XD

Katie

It does depend on the size of the back yard, but if it is large enough, most of the grass will probably be OK. It kinda depends on your climate also. If you have hot sunny weather, I'd expect the chickens to spend most of their time in the shade. They'll spend a fair amount of time around the feeder and waterer. They often make deposits first thing in the morning after they leave the coop. Guess where most of the poop will be.

Chicken poop has a lot of nitrogen in it, which will burn plants if it is too concentrated. I'd expect it to get concentrated around the feed and water and probably in the shady areas they like to hang out in. Occasional deposits in the grass should not cause a problem. It does depend on a few different things so I can't be definite, but I think you'll be OK.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom