APA and ABA ??

B520

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2016
I'm new to this and really interested in breeding and showing silkies!
Well I found the local show http://www.sohiopa.org/rules-regulations/

But I don't understand which standards to follow, are they both the same? It states: "APA and ABA rules will be used."
I haven't purchased either book because I don't know which one I need and if they are different then how can both be used??

I'm not a bantam breeder, but I would interpret that to mean that the large fowl follow the APA rules, and the bantams follow the ABA rules. It is unlikely that the 2 different organizations have conflicting rules, just that the ABA is bantam-specific. Hopefully someone who breeds bantams will be able to guide you with more certainty.

Okay thanks, I didn't realize that bantams were separate for some reason, thanks!

Separate if for no other reason than the weights would be way off from LF.

APA doesn't list silkies because they are a true bantam vs. a diminutive bantam which has a LF counterpart.
ABA will have the standards for both of those.

APA doesn't list silkies because they are a true bantam vs. a diminutive bantam which has a LF counterpart.

Silkies were in the APA standard before the ABA existed.

The APA is for all poultry/fowl including Large Fowl and Bantam Chickens, all sizes of Ducks, Turkey and Guineafowl. The ABA is just for Bantam Chickens and Bantam Ducks. The APA does not recognize some varieties of some breeds that that the ABA does and I believe there may be a breed or 2 that is not in one that is in the other but for the most part they recognize all the same birds. In a show that is APA and ABA sanctioned there must be judges liscensed in both Associations and the birds are judged from both Associations or dual liscensed Judges. Many judges are liscensed with both Associations.

Matt

Last edited:

My APA SOP (1989) lists the Silkie. It is in the Feather Legged Bantams section. It also lists the Sebright, which is a bantam that has no large fowl counterpart.

It is my understanding that there is no large fowl counterpart to the Silkie bantam in the U.S., but that there are LF Silkies in other countries. If you Google Large Fowl Silkie, there are many U.K. sites that come up, many advertising birds that have won championships, so they are likely a sanctioned breed by the British Poultry Standard.

If anyone knows of LF Silkies in the U.S., please PM me. I would love to know if they have the same brooding behavior as the Silkie bantams, but with a larger nest capacity.

Last edited:
My APA SOP (1989) lists the Silkie.  It is in the Feather Legged Bantams section.  It also lists the Sebright, with is a bantam that has no large fowl counterpart.

It is my understanding that there is no large fowl counterpart to the Silkie bantam in the U.S., but that there are LF Silkies in other countries.  If you Google Large Fowl Silkie, there are many U.K. sites that come up, many advertising birds that have won championships, so they are likely a sanctioned breed by the British Poultry Standard.

If anyone knows of LF Silkies in the U.S., please PM me.  I would love to know if they have the same brooding behavior as the Silkie bantams, but with a larger nest capacity.

I have a 1910 APA Standard and Silkies are in it as well.

Back
Top Bottom