Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I have two spitzhauben hens. The keep up with my barred rocks for laying and are very calm. Inquisitive but calm. I have a group of ten chicks growing out to add to my flock. I really like the unusual look, the good production, and the easy keeping.

I may have missed it in this thread and others but does anyone have any Black Appenzellar Spitzhaubens available? I see pics on UK sites but none in US.

Also, my Cream Brabanters look a lot like the Cream Spitzhaubens. I know the Brabanters were 'brought back' uti;izing Spitz and Owlbeards, but my Brabanters........I am thinking ARE Spitzhaubens, they look so much alike. LOL

I may have missed it in this thread and others but does anyone have any Black Appenzellar Spitzhaubens available?  I see pics on UK sites but none in US.  

Also, my Cream Brabanters look a lot like the Cream Spitzhaubens.  I know the Brabanters were 'brought back' uti;izing Spitz and Owlbeards, but my Brabanters........I am thinking ARE Spitzhaubens, they look so much alike.  LOL

There are a few people w black spitz in this country, but not very many. I think GFF imported them a few years ago. Shallow gene pool & issues w leakage in their hackles. The spitz fb page has some breeders of black spitz that look nice. I've got a few BBS project spitz, but they're a long way fr standard.

I had a few brabanters & gave them away. Trying to focus just on the spitz for now. They're all fun birds tho.

Last edited:
Just wanted to put up a particularly good shot of one of the young girls coming out of my current breeding project with the Silvers.

PhoredaBurds .....

I just took a look at the Great Britian standard page ... and the hen I got from you looks exactly like the one they have !!!

You are doing a great job of breeding to that standard!!! I can't find a thing off w/my hen yet - she still has to go through her first moult .. so we shall see what her spangles look like then .... but I am so thrilled.

:) thanks Matella. I wish I could take credit for breeding those birds. I was only responsible for hatching them tho. There are a several excellent breeders in this country doing amazing work with spitzhaubens. I feel very grateful to have a few of their birds and look forward to springtime when I plan to be hatching from them. The silvers especially are really growing out nicely. Hopefully this AI scare will pass & I will muster the courage to bring a few to a show or two.

I agree ! I also was too leary that other bird owners would keep questionable birds home - so didn't even think about taking birds ... I am debating putting a nice dark dozen Marans eggs in the fair :) Just toying w/the idea - I've never entered anything - and the fair I go to is small and they don't have all the stuff online :)

Back
Top Bottom