Spitzhaubens, what are their personalities like?

Rose the Legbar

Songster
Dec 18, 2022
Washington State
Hello! I am wondering about personalities of Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. I’ve seen many articles of them being flightly but a lot of spitz owners have said they are super sweet and cuddly. So, I have no idea which is true or if it was a few one offs.
I plan on getting 6 chamois and 6 gold spitz chicks this year from a breeder in NY (Sweet Chicken Homestead). She says she breeds for friendliness and breeds to the standards in other countries. She also is NPIP which is a good plus.
I adore this breed and I’d love to know more about them and their personalities before I get them and what to expect.

Hello! I am wondering about personalities of Appenzeller Spitzhaubens. I’ve seen many articles of them being flightly but a lot of spitz owners have said they are super sweet and cuddly. So, I have no idea which is true or if it was a few one offs.
I plan on getting 6 chamois and 6 gold spitz chicks this year from a breeder in NY (Sweet Chicken Homestead). She says she breeds for friendliness and breeds to the standards in other countries. She also is NPIP which is a good plus.
I adore this breed and I’d love to know more about them and their personalities before I get them and what to expect.
I like mine. Definitely prefer to be left alone, but they get along with the others. they're spritely.

Mine also go broody constantly.

My first two girls like me a lot and hang around with me. Very curious, when young they don't like to be close and will defiantly evade you when you try to touch them. As they get older they get less stand offish? My roosters are not hard to catch nor are the girls even tho I have not handled them much when younger.

I did and do sit with the flock and hand out treats. The older ones (1yr) come take them from my hands. The newer ones (3months) don't come up till the others have gone away and most the time they just stand there and watch me till I drop the treats for them. That is getting better as they will come up from behind me and between my legs and take the treat when I'm not looking now. They are getting more confident that I'm not a threat and hang with me more now.

As personality goes for the breeds I have they are up there with my Phoenix and Ameraucana. I wont ever have a flock with out them going forward.

Last edited:
I have two silver Appenzeller Spitzhauben hens that I absolutely adore! They are very sweet in my opinion. They are very curious and will come right up to me. I didn't handle mine at all as chicks, and today I attempted to pet them and they almost let me, first try! I think hand raising them and giving them some treats would go a long way. I have had Anconas in the past and they were THE MOST flighty chickens ever. You can't even get within three feet of an Ancona 😂

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230918-090246.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230918-090246.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230918_091148.jpg
    20230918_091148.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 7
The three cockerels I need to choose between for a keeper.

1000003236.jpg

1000003235.jpg

No spangling on the brest area.

1000003241.jpg

1000003238.jpg

No spangling on the brest area.

1000003249.jpg

1000003102.jpg

1000003086.jpg

Spangling on brest area. He feels a bit skinny through the brest area tho.

None of them seem to hold their wings in a good position but that could just be the heat. Also one is boarding on a long crow like the "kosovo longcrower" or the "sanjak longcrower". I need to catch that one crowing and tag it.

Last edited:
My poor fully spangled gold is limping now. Hes in a large dog crate now to minamize his movement. Checked the leg out and nothing broken, no swelling and had full range of motion. Must of sprained something getting out of a tree or getting chased by one of the other cockerels, or chasing a hen. He wasn't limping this morning when I let everyone out.

Back
Top Bottom