Meet the fluffbutts

Alright! The egg hatching process has officially begun! We’ve got two that have already escaped their confinement and now wander the incubator
IMG_6961.jpeg

This one we’ve decided to call Popcorn because of how quickly it popped out of its egg! It only took like four hours from first sign of pipping to fully exiting the egg!
IMG_6964.jpeg

Now called Squishy, who took about nine hours to hatch, using Popcorn as a pillow. She just hatched an hour ago as of posting this.

There are three other pips, and one that is rocking but has not signs of external pipping yet. From the looks of it, I’m getting a full hatch of six!

Last edited:
There are now five babies! Most of them look about the same, but we did end up with a dark baby in the midst of our little yellow fluffballs. We are calling it Bean. We aren’t really sure what breed their father is, might ask my neighbour at some point. Popcorn is still significantly bigger than the other four, so it is easily distinguishable, and we are for sure keeping Popcorn and Bean. We will decide the third that we are keeping once we start moving them and do wing checks. We will be giving the other two to one of my dad’s work friends- hopefully we can send a third their way. We have one that hasn’t hatched but was on the same developmental track as the other five before lockdown, so I’ll probably candle it once we get the other five moved. They are fine, despite looking a bit squished in some photos- they just really like resting their heads on the protective disk.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    519.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6981.jpeg
    IMG_6981.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2752.jpeg
    IMG_2752.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6989.jpeg
    IMG_6989.jpeg
    500.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6988.jpeg
    IMG_6988.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6999.jpeg
    IMG_6999.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 1
There are now five babies! Most of them look about the same, but we did end up with a dark baby in the midst of our little yellow fluffballs. We are calling it Bean. We aren’t really sure what breed their father is, might ask my neighbour at some point. Popcorn is still significantly bigger than the other four, so it is easily distinguishable, and we are for sure keeping Popcorn and Bean. We will decide the third that we are keeping once we start moving them and do wing checks. We will be giving the other two to one of my dad’s work friends- hopefully we can send a third their way. We have one that hasn’t hatched but was on the same developmental track as the other five before lockdown, so I’ll probably candle it once we get the other five moved. They are fine, despite looking a bit squished in some photos- they just really like resting their heads on the protective disk.
How sweet! Cute little babies :love

So, we decided to keep all five of them. My mom decided that 10 chickens or 12, doesn’t really make much of a difference. So meet the new members of the family!
This is Bean. We think this is our little roo, and we also believe that he may be Zazu’s baby! We didn’t realise this until after he hatched, but we do believe that there was another Zazu egg in the incubator! Zazu was one of the girls that I lost in the dog attack, and I didn’t think any of her eggs made it but… we looked at the shell while we were cleaning out the incubator, and I do believe we had a light Zazu egg that hatched! So, here’s Bean. He was unexpected, but very welcome.
IMG_2765.jpeg

This is Popcorn, the first one that hatched. She’s getting so big! She’s about twice the size of the other four. She’s taking after her mother, the other girl I lost in the attack, and is extremely sweet. She loves burrowing into my hoodies.
IMG_2782.jpeg

These are Pickles and Squishy, two of Scuttle’s babies. We can’t really tell them apart, so I’m just putting both of them here. Here are Squishy and Pickles.
IMG_2777.jpeg
IMG_2774.jpeg

And last but not least, this is Spud. She is also Scuttle’s baby. She’s super sweet, but she’s very vocal. Always yelling, even when she is happy.
IMG_2767.jpeg

Woop woop! All of the babies have made it, and we are ecstatic! They are all getting very big, which we are guessing is a result of their father because their mothers weren’t exactly huge. I don’t have many great individual pictures because they all like to climb on me at the same time! I have a few though, so I will post individual and group photos.
(Popcorn, wearing a festive hat to start us off!)
View attachment 3711796
View attachment 3711797
View attachment 3711799
View attachment 3711800
View attachment 3711801

The big girls are doing great too! Hei Hei is still inside, but we have been bringing her outside for a few hours per day to get her used to the cold. She is now fully feathered and completely out of the woods! There was a point that we weren’t sure if she was going to make it, but Hei Hei managed to pull through! She has begun laying again, so we are now up to two eggs per day! Scuttle lays pretty much everyday despite the weather, and Hei Hei lays about five days per week. Younger girls haven’t started laying yet, but Jelly and Toast both look pretty close! If they don’t lay in the next month or so, I imagine they will be laying as soon as it starts to warm up.
View attachment 3711804
View attachment 3711805
View attachment 3711806
View attachment 3711807View attachment 3711808
View attachment 3711809
View attachment 3711810
View attachment 3711811
View attachment 3711812

Jelly has laid her first egg today! She has scoliosis, so we weren’t sure how well things were going to go, but there were no complications and it is a very nice looking egg with a very thick bloom! I’m so proud of her. First of young girls to stop being a freeloader!

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2831.jpeg
    IMG_2831.jpeg
    705.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7516.jpeg
    IMG_7516.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    583.2 KB · Views: 1
Jelly has laid her first egg today! She has scoliosis, so we weren’t sure how well things were going to go, but there were no complications and it is a very nice looking egg with a very thick bloom! I’m so proud of her. First of young girls to stop being a freeloader!
Congratulations Jelly!

Back
Top Bottom