Apple Cider Vinegar okay for ducks?

ThePolishPrincess

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Orange County, New York
Alright, here's the scoop. The 'Scovies bunk in with the chickens at night and sometimes we change the water every other day, depending upon how dirty it is. The ducks are usually let out after they get some breakfast with the flock. There are only two. After that, we let them free-range for the remaining morning and afternoon and let the chickens out to join them a few hours before dusk. Then everyone gets locked up for the night.

My parents are responsible for taking care of everyone in the morning on weekdays, as I have to get ready for school. They really aren't responsible for the extra care, that would be my thing. This is everyone's first day on ACV and I made sure the ducks didn't get any today, just in case. I don't know if it's bad for them and they may go for a drink right away, before my parents stop them, first thing in the morning when I'm not there to change around my planning. Will this cause harm for ducks? If so, I'll make sure the chickens only get the ACV on weekends, when I'm in charge of things outside.

I'm going to bed. I'll check in with any answers tomorrow. Thank you, anyone, in advance!
big_smile.png

What's the use for apple cider vinegar?

Apple Cider Vinegar helps boost the chickens' immune systems and also controls algae growth in the water. I had several chickens who were getting sick quite often, but after I put them on the ACV, they perked right up. I can tell they've been feeling so much better ever since.​

Apple cider vinegar is a weak acid, and as such may kill some harmful pathogens in water, etc.

However, many of the health benefits touted are basically not scientifically proven.

My degree is in nutrition. If such a low priced ingredient was of benefit to my animals, I'd be the first to use it. Alas, it just ain't so..

Let the flames begin....

Rachel
Rosharon, TX

I just saw a post of FB about it being good for chickens. I was wondering about my ducks as well. I take it *almost* daily...at least every other day....and I can tell a BIG difference in how I feel. I didn't take it for almost 3 months and within one month I got a flu bug, then a cold and yet ANOTHER flu! I even had blood work done and there wasn't a single thing wrong with my levels. In fact, my cholesterol and some other things were noticeably better! I think I'm going to be adding to my ducks water today. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom