apple cider vinegar

Status
Not open for further replies.
My comment was intended to be helpful to people with less experience. There is a great deal of misinformation on this site [sorry if that offends]. The notiion that a small quantity of vinegar in water is goiing to prevent or cure disease falls into that category-IMO.
I don't know of any study that addresses this specifically but there are numerous studies that disprove the whole notion of homeopathy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although ACV has many positive benefits, I haven't seen any studies that show it works as a wormer. (And I highly doubt it does.)

This article on the benefits of ACV is worth a read. It sites/references a variety of actual studies:

What You Should Know about Cider Vinegar
http://www.buszesz.hu/en/allattartas.htm

Quote:
OK, all I'm saying is that people have been watering livestock from plastic waterers for generations with no detectable harm.

I was just hoping someone might have some insight into a year around watering system that did not react to ACV or other supplements OTHER THAN PLASTIC.

I hope it did not get lost in all these digressions that I *did* give you a way of doing that (epoxy-paint a galvanized waterer).

Or I suppose you could just set out a stainless steel bucket, or Pyrex bowl, of water and let them drink out of that. Although that is not terribly efficient or sanitary IMO.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

The article on the merits of ACV that Kim gave the link to is interesting. I really like the part about Coccidosis not occurring when ACV is used in the water. I just bought another bottle of Braggs ACV today. I've noticed the waterer does not get that slime on it when ACV is used. I use it daily in my Chicks water and am impressed.

I thought we were supposed to share Idea's and help people. I don't like the arguing about what works and what doesn't work, and I don't like putting people down because of the the things they think work for them. I have been raising chickens for years and what works for me may not work for someone else.

In my opinion there doesn't have to be a study to "prove" something to me. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. There are many "old farmer's tales" that people today would say, well that is just crazy. But if people actually try some of these things they might find some of them really do work, study or no study. I am not an "old time" farmer but I have used many of their "old time" remedies with great success. And if something like that shows me results when I try it, then I would much rather do that than use some of the very potent animal medications.

An old time farmer told me that if a calf gets the scours (poops) to add a couple of eggs to it's milk for a couple of feedings and it will clear it up, it has worked like a charm every time, I have never had to treat a calf with medications.

An old time farmer told me that vinegar works as a natural preventative for worms. And that garlic powder fed to animals will kill worms. Now I am not saying a little research of our own is not involved here, because maybe garlic isn't good for all animals, as an example of doing our own research.

I bought piglets last year, and like any animal if worms are present you can see signs of it in their waste, these piglets had worms, I added garlic powder to their food each day for a week, no more signs of worms, I soured their milk with vinegar. Never saw another sign of worms and they grew like crazy.

My point is, some things don't make sense, some things have no studies that "prove" it, but the fact of the matter is some of those old time remedies work successfully for some of those that are willing to try them

Same thing with humans, ever heard the story that when you have a bad cough to put vicks vapor rub on the bottoms of your feet and put a pair of socks on, and the cough will stop? Well that has worked for myself and all of my children, how does that work? No idea, does it make sense? Nope.

One time my kids got lice at school, I used the nasty lice shampoo that is "designed" for this, basically a human pesticide. I still found live lice on my kids heads!! My grandmother told me to put vinegar on their heads, and cover with a shower cap. Well it worked no more lice. Vinegar did what that 15.00 bottle of shampoo did not. Sometimes "old farmer's tales" and "old wives" tales are the best way to go, study or no study.

Some of the animal medications are so bad that you are supposed to wear rubber gloves when handling them, if an old farmer's remedy using something safer will give me the same results I am all for it!! Things were definitely done a lot differently in the "old days", but many of those things worked just fine for them, the problem today is everything has been studied and society is becoming dependent on those studies, so now a days with some people if there isn't a study to say it is so, well then it just isn't so. Myself personally I will continue to stick with the old time farmers remedies as long as they work for me, and I will continue to follow advice given to me by people on this forum, they are offering me advice based on their own personal experience and not " the study says".

cluckers&quackers :

In my opinion there doesn't have to be a study to "prove" something to me. The proof is in the pudding so to speak. There are many "old farmer's tales" that people today would say, well that is just crazy. But if people actually try some of these things they might find some of them really do work, study or no study. I am not an "old time" farmer but I have used many of their "old time" remedies with great success. And if something like that shows me results when I try it, then I would much rather do that than use some of the very potent animal medications.

An old time farmer told me that if a calf gets the scours (poops) to add a couple of eggs to it's milk for a couple of feedings and it will clear it up, it has worked like a charm every time, I have never had to treat a calf with medications.

An old time farmer told me that vinegar works as a natural preventative for worms. And that garlic powder fed to animals will kill worms. Now I am not saying a little research of our own is not involved here, because maybe garlic isn't good for all animals, as an example of doing our own research.

I bought piglets last year, and like any animal if worms are present you can see signs of it in their waste, these piglets had worms, I added garlic powder to their food each day for a week, no more signs of worms, I soured their milk with vinegar. Never saw another sign of worms and they grew like crazy.

My point is, some things don't make sense, some things have no studies that "prove" it, but the fact of the matter is some of those old time remedies work successfully for some of those that are willing to try them

Same thing with humans, ever heard the story that when you have a bad cough to put vicks vapor rub on the bottoms of your feet and put a pair of socks on, and the cough will stop? Well that has worked for myself and all of my children, how does that work? No idea, does it make sense? Nope.

One time my kids got lice at school, I used the nasty lice shampoo that is "designed" for this, basically a human pesticide. I still found live lice on my kids heads!! My grandmother told me to put vinegar on their heads, and cover with a shower cap. Well it worked no more lice. Vinegar did what that 15.00 bottle of shampoo did not. Sometimes "old farmer's tales" and "old wives" tales are the best way to go, study or no study.

Some of the animal medications are so bad that you are supposed to wear rubber gloves when handling them, if an old farmer's remedy using something safer will give me the same results I am all for it!! Things were definitely done a lot differently in the "old days", but many of those things worked just fine for them, the problem today is everything has been studied and society is becoming dependent on those studies, so now a days with some people if there isn't a study to say it is so, well then it just isn't so. Myself personally I will continue to stick with the old time farmers remedies as long as they work for me, and I will continue to follow advice given to me by people on this forum, they are offering me advice based on their own personal experience and not " the study says".

Amen ~ a bit of common sense, plus willingness to listen to those who have gone before and done successfully ~ I call that prudence & the wisdom to use it appropriately.
~Red​

Please don't take offense to my having posted a link that includes some studies that document the effectiveness of ACV. I can't see why that wouldn't be helpful, or at least interesting, to some individuals on either side of the discussion.

For the record, I DO add ACV to my chickens' water, and give them cayenne pepper too. (Many of us here have been "shot down" for the cayenne pepper, but hey....c'est la vie. It works for my flocks, I have a basic understanding of why, and that's all that matters to me.)

As for the ACV alone as a cure for worms - that hasn't worked for me.

The garlic works because when chewed and injested it releases sulfur-containing compounds that expell worms. The same compounds also later reach the skin and repell biting insects such as mesquitos, knats, ticks, etc.

And for the record, I DO take older folks advice and use lots of home remedies, supposed "old tales", etc. Sure, lots of them work. Whether I can find out "why" or not, I continue to use those that work nonetheless. I just think it's interesting to learn "why".

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom