1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

apple fruit leather recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Anny, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Does any one have a nice apple fruit leather recipe. Either using a dehydrator or the oven.

I have to many apples and I need to do something with them. I have a bunch of apple sauce and apple pie, and apple muffins. I thought fruit leather might use up a good chuck of the apples as well.

I have NEVER made fruit leather before so tips and pointers are always a good thing.

2. chickymama25

chickymama25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    I am no expert, but I typically use applesauce for my fruit leather. The key is to make sure you spread it very evenly or it dried unevenly. I haven't found a way to keep the leather from sticking to the dehydrator tray...gets like concrete! I wasn't sure if I should use non-stick spray before or not. Good luck!
    Apple chips (dehydrated sliced apples dipped in lemon juice and then cinnamon and sugar) are also tasty!

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

um...... WHAT exactly IS fruit leather???

4. chickymama25

chickymama25 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Oh, you don't know what you are missing, unless you have had a fruit roll up or something like it. Homemade kind is usually know as fruit leather. It is dehydrated pureed fruit without all of the perservatives and added dyes. Very tasty and a great way to perserve your fruit bounty. Yum!

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

mmmm.... sounds good! Never had it!

Can I volunteer to be a taste tester???

6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    fruit leather is soo yummy. Some times you'll see it in the stores called "smooshed fruit"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by