Apples? Anyone

The book I have has discriptions and histories on the 59 varieties and is very helpful .

We have Beacon Skiff and O'Neils orchards. Beacon Skiff is up on the mountain in Lafayette and O'Neils is down a ways. Beacon Skiff is now into wines but has the best cider. Our apple fest is huge in the fall. We've only gone a few times since we don't want to deal with the traffic.

The book does mention that area does affect the taste, which I know for a fact. We once went to an Orchard in the Buffalo area and they had the same types of apples as Beacon Skiff but they didn't taste as good. What's strange is that the apples were bigger too.

I've pretty much started a small farm here and figured I'd plant three trees of apples. I am hoping to put in some unusual varieties. Some that Beacon Skiff and O'neils don't grow. GD's GS and Honey Crisp are common here. I can get those at the orchards. Which I did last year and made some really good Sauce and jelly. Unfortunately the land is not cleared. It was once but they just left all the cut down trees and now it's over grown and Lord have mercy I don't think I'll ever get it cleared. They must have done it years ago.

The book was very helpful with varieties and describing which grow best where. Oregon and Washington are good area as is Virginia and the North east. I'm sure you' all know this.

Now someone mentioned "PInk Lady" which is one I'm looking at since DD likes pink anything. The book lists and categorizes the varieties so you can switch out for those in your area from the recipes. "Firm tart" , Firm Sweet". etc etc.

It's a $30 book, but I really wanted it. Plus I have a membership to the book store and had a 40% off coupon.
big_smile.png

Rancher Hicks, in zone 5, you can grow any apple weather-wise. However, you are in the East where there are many apple diseases and pests. So, in addition to everything else, you need to consider natural resistance.

Some apple trees will succumb to CAR (cedar apple rust) no matter what you do, and some varieties have little problem with it.

I've heard good things about all the varieties that you are considering.

My opinion is that the russeted apples are the very best tasting. Because the general public doesn't seem to like the looks of russetting, russeted apples don't get grown commercially. Newton Pippin is my favorite for both baking and eating. They were common in the markets around here a couple of decades ago, but I had to plant my own tree in order to get any now.

I've purchased a bench graft of Knobbed Russet. It is reputed t be the world's ugliest apple and also gets rave reviews for the taste. The public won't touch it because of its looks. It will be a couple of years before I get any fruit, but I am really looking forward to trying it.

If all you have room for is 3 trees, you could get multi-graft trees and end up with 9 varieties on your 3 trees.

Pink Lad is a copyrighted name. It is the exact same apple as Cripp's Pink. In case you have a problem finding it. I believe that Pink Lady is the name it is sold in the markets as. Cripps Pink is the name you will find the tree sold under.

I got hit with "apple math" too. I planted 8 trees and I'm planning on buying more scions to graft multiple varieties on each tree.

So far I have:
Pink lady
Granny smith
Honeycrisp
Liberty- very disease resistant
Arkansas Black
Sierra Beauty- a local apple discovered growing wild..most likely a "California gold rush apple".
Hudson's Golden gem- russet
Niedzwetzkyana- a solid red, red fleshed apple

Last edited:
I have a catalog "Millers" and they have the Pink lady and a few others I'm interested in. I hadn't considered the multi grafted trees but they have those too. Would I get enough apples of each variety for the house. I'm not looking for a business just self sustaining. What with the food we buy today. Lord have mercy it makes you scared to eat.

Oregon, it does seem to me that the uglier the fruit the better it is. It's not the room I have it's the money and energy. Would to God we had owned this place when I was younger. So I figured if there was three trees that would cover all the types listed, "Firm - Tart", "Firm - Sweet", and " Tender - Tart", I would be good.

They do have the Pink Lady listed that way in Millers catalog but the book does mention it as also Cripps. I give a brief History of each but doesn't mention how to grow apples.

tls_ - now you know why I'm trying to control myself. Heavens, I figured 25 chickens and now I have 50 or more. I don't count cuz it ebbs and flows. The incubator is full and I've 25 new chicks on order. I am getting better though. I won't keep them all.
big_smile.png

Not to mention the increased garden and planting of raspberries, currants and goose berries or the other stuff I've ordered.

If you could see to the left about 75 feet we have that area too. It just needs clearing. We have about 3 acres. This pic doesn't show the hoop coop and the area being cleared to the back either. We have a creek that borders the back by about 200 feet or more.

The book I have has discriptions and histories on the 59 varieties and is very helpful .

We have Beacon Skiff and O'Neils orchards. Beacon Skiff is up on the mountain in Lafayette and O'Neils is down a ways. Beacon Skiff is now into wines but has the best cider. Our apple fest is huge in the fall. We've only gone a few times since we don't want to deal with the traffic.

The book does mention that area does affect the taste, which I know for a fact. We once went to an Orchard in the Buffalo area and they had the same types of apples as Beacon Skiff but they didn't taste as good. What's strange is that the apples were bigger too.

I've pretty much started a small farm here and figured I'd plant three trees of apples. I am hoping to put in some unusual varieties. Some that Beacon Skiff and O'neils don't grow. GD's GS and Honey Crisp are common here. I can get those at the orchards. Which I did last year and made some really good Sauce and jelly. Unfortunately the land is not cleared. It was once but they just left all the cut down trees and now it's over grown and Lord have mercy I don't think I'll ever get it cleared. They must have done it years ago.

The book was very helpful with varieties and describing which grow best where. Oregon and Washington are good area as is Virginia and the North east. I'm sure you' all know this.

Now someone mentioned "PInk Lady" which is one I'm looking at since DD likes pink anything. The book lists and categorizes the varieties so you can switch out for those in your area from the recipes. "Firm tart" , Firm Sweet". etc etc.

It's a $30 book, but I really wanted it. Plus I have a membership to the book store and had a 40% off coupon.
big_smile.png
That was a good deal. I hope pink lady's can grow in your zone. Here's a pink lady link... http://www.rsigrowers.com/apples/pink-lady-apple/prod_161.html

Rancher- what a pretty garden/orchard area and the snow is beautiful to look at:)

I also planted a ton of other fruit trees and berries. I just hope I stay here long enough to enjoy them, but I should get some fruit this year. Due to the milder winter this year some of the trees are already blooming.

5 peaches
3 nectarines
8 apples
3 cherries
4 plums
4 pluots
3 apricots
3 pomegranates
about 18 blueberries
11 blackberry and raspberry plants

Back
Top Bottom