Apples growing in a coop

Helena91

In the Brooder
May 13, 2024
Sorry I didn't know where to post this and I can't find any answers on Google as it's probably quite an odd question as we are very new to keeping chickens. We have an apple tree growing in our hen enclosure. The enclosure is about 10m2 and we only have 3 hens. The floor of the enclosure obviously gets covered in poop, we clean it but some of it mixes into the mud and presumably gets into the soil. My question is, due to this, would the apples be safe for us to eat or will they be contaminated?
Thanks for any info.

Apples on the tree will be fine. Any that fall to the ground should be considered contaminated. Depending on what you plan to do with them they may be OK if they are washed, peeled, and cooked first, but to be on the safe side I would just leave ground apples for the chickens.

Welcome to BYC! Yes, apples on your tree won't be contaminated. On the plus side, any ground apples will be a great treat for your chickens! Chicken manure also makes great fertilizer, so there's a chance your apples will be even better quality! I would not advise telling people what you use as for fertilizer if you're planning to sell the apples though, 🤣 I know several people who find the act of using chicken feces as fertilizer disgusting...

Back
Top Bottom