Apply To Become A Volunteer Project Manager

I'm not wired for social interaction, and am often percieved as uncaring, hurtful and/or dismissive with my writings. While it doesn't bother me, I am aware that its not a good look as a representative of another, such as BYC.
Ever since you made this response, I’ve paid more attention to my own interactions on BYC and have concluded that I too would not make a good representative! I definitely let my emotions get the better of me and am very grateful for the quality moderators that are currently in action on BYC. Unless there is someone to moderate the moderators?

Unless there is someone to moderate the moderators?
This is actually a great question.
Don't know if any will commit or if any response given will be a PR reply or?
I'm sure their actions are monitored to an extent but I've always thought no one mod should solely make decisions on their own. Every action whether it's deleting posts, giving points or even making the short list for badges should be done by at least two mods.
Everyone is bias in one way or another and multiple opinions would cut down on that.

This is actually a great question.
Don't know if any will commit or if any response given will be a PR reply or?
I'm sure their actions are monitored to an extent but I've always thought no one mod should solely make decisions on their own. Every action whether it's deleting posts, giving points or even making the short list for badges should be done by at least two mods.
Everyone is bias in one way or another and multiple opinions would cut down on that.
I agree 1000%.

The other day on Facebook, I commented on a thread where a man wrote in all caps. He said it was because he has a hard time seeing. I replied to his comment asking if he is using a phone or computer because I could help set up assistive settings. I do this for a living so it was a natural reaction. A moderator replied that what I said was harassment then sent me a horrendously hateful private message. Before I could even respond, she blocked me from the entire page. I have had very positive interactions with two other moderators (and didn’t even know this one) so I sent one a screen shot of what she said and told them I felt that what she said and did was inappropriate. And I also said the comment could have been deleted instead of making a public remark if she actually thought what I said was harassment. The moderator said the man had posted before and said he didn’t want advice. I said okay that’s fair. Delete my comment then because I had no idea that was the situation, and I meant no offense. I asked for her to explain why that warranted me being blocked, and she only said she won’t unblock me. I was stunned What kind of moderator said a private harassing messages? And it’s okay? I left the group but anyways, but that frustrated me that there was no one to moderate the moderators!!! You can’t even report that to Facebook. Not really. They have bigger problems, and I totally understand that.

But even if I was a project manager, I’d have no issues with a moderator to call me out on something that they felt as inappropriate. We are all only human and we all get caught up in the heat of the moment.

I’m still butt hurt over that whole Facebook situation.

Edited to add: even on this site, one time I had a comment deleted and the reason for doing so was “beating a dead horse.” And while I WAS beating a dead horse I felt the description was very inappropriate. That was my first week or two here.

Last edited:
I'm sure their actions are monitored to an extent

We have a ton of action monitoring systems in place. Some completely automated and others manual. One of our best monitors: Our community :) We get fantastic feedback (publicly and privately) on how our team (as a group and individually) are doing. We evaluate that feedback and over the MANY years we've been doing this, have made... and continue to make important changes.

I've always thought no one mod should solely make decisions on their own. Every action whether it's deleting posts, giving points or even making the short list for badges should be done by at least two mods.

We'd LOVE to be able to do this, but it's literally impossible to do. There aren't any public community forums that are as busy / active as BYC that do this... or are anywhere close to being able to do this.

It's kinda like asking two parents of 12 kids to double-check with each other on every single decision they make.

"Mom, can I have a cookie?"
"Let me text your Dad."

"Dad, can I go over to my friend's house?"
"Not until I get approval from your mom."

Now, multiply that by hundreds of thousands of people, hundreds of actions / requests, etc. and you can see how this isn't only difficult, but impossible at scale. Even Facebook with their 913 BILLON $$ valuation is completely unable to moderate their community 1/1,000 as well as our team does here.

100% true. No human is completely unbiased!

... but THANK GOODNESS we vet the HECK our of our team, and get peeps with a proven track record of being really level headed.

What's even better: We've got the world's BEST checks-and-balances:

1) Our moderators keep each other in-check
2) Our members actively keep our moderators in-check
3) If the above items fail, any person (moderator or member) can privately message me with their concerns of bias, and I'll review and take action where needed. "But what about your bias Nifty?!?!?" Well, I'm allowed since I pay the bills ;) :p

Back
Top Bottom