April 1 chicks @ 17weeks UPDATED 7/31 - PIC HEAVY.

Hondo: I was thinking about you and your chicks yesterday and wondered when you would be posting an update........and there it was! Your chicks are looking fantastic and seem to have gone past the gangly stage. My chicks are a week behind yours and they are at the part down/mostly feathers stage.

Oh, and I LOVE your portable pen. Did you make that with pcv and netting? I think I see alot of wire ties
big_smile.png

Hello again! Yes, they seem to be just about over the gawky stage. The playpen is 1/2" SCHEDULE 40 PVC and plastic garden netting. It is 10' long by 4' wide by 4' high. The netting comes in 4' x 50' rolls so that was really what determined the size of the pen. You are right, there are a lot of nylon zip ties. It folds flat if needed and is very lightweight. It's only used when we are out in the yard with them as it is only designed to keep them in and not to keep predators out. It gives them enough room to fly the entire length and really run around, practice scratching and find bugs and worms When they come back in they are tired! The cost to build with the fittings is just around $40.

Hello again! Yes, they seem to be just about over the gawky stage. The playpen is 1/2" SCHEDULE 40 PVC and plastic garden netting. It is 10' long by 4' wide by 4' high. The netting comes in 4' x 50' rolls so that was really what determined the size of the pen. You are right, there are a lot of nylon zip ties. It folds flat if needed and is very lightweight. It's only used when we are out in the yard with them as it is only designed to keep them in and not to keep predators out. It gives them enough room to fly the entire length and really run around, practice scratching and find bugs and worms When they come back in they are tired! The cost to build with the fittings is just around $40.

That pen is really clever. I like how you can store it flat.

I ended up using a roll of chicken wire and those driveway markers. Yeah, I know, but it served the purpose. I brought my 10 chicks out in a cat carrier and it took about 40 minutes for SOME of them to come out. I guess it was a little to soon.

Your chicks are such an interesting mix of colors I cant wait to see what they end up looking like. Please keep posting! (Subscribed to this post
smile.png
) I think my 2 are about a week older... The lil hen with her baby is adorable too.

That pen is really clever. I like how you can store it flat.

I ended up using a roll of chicken wire and those driveway markers. Yeah, I know, but it served the purpose. I brought my 10 chicks out in a cat carrier and it took about 40 minutes for SOME of them to come out. I guess it was a little to soon.
That's funny, last year I used a similar set up that I covered with a piece of old blue nylon tarp. It took on the name of "shanty town" thus was not welcome back this year.
hide.gif

Ok im going to ask the true "newbie" question as I am VERY new to anything involving live chickens... What breed are these? They are beautiful. The dark colored ones remind me of Falcons.

Well it's a very good question.

Our rooster Louie is an Easter Egger. By default that makes him a mixed breed.
He was crossed with our little bantam Elkie who by all educated guesses is most likely an Easter Egger x Brahma cross with a chance of D'uccle, Cochin etc which makes her a mixed breed also.
Louie was also crossed with an EE, a Cinnamon Queen and a White Plymouth Rock. You can see below the results from those pairings.
Louie x White Plymouth Rock

+ =

Louie x Elkie the mystery bantam

+ =

and and

Louie x Cinnamon Queen

+ =

Louie x Easter Egg hen

+ = and

Hi Hondo!

Your birds are just beautiful
love.gif
Geez, they don't look at all like that did when they were very small. That's the best thing about "mutts". You never know what you'll get.

Here are pictures of my chicks which are one week behind yours......

The below chick is a cross with a polish and someone else! He/she has little feathers sticking out of the top of his/her head!

The chick closer is a cross between a barred rock and polish. He/she that same little cluster of feathers on her/his head.

Back
Top Bottom