April 2010 Pullets- wanna wait with me?

I have 4 BOs and 1 BR born in April. Still waiting on all 5. I have seen them squat. No egg song but lots of red in crop and wattles.

I have wooden eggs in their nests, but none of them use them. I have looked everywhere for eggs in their run, but nothing yet.

After reading many of these posts I am hopeful!

my cuckoo marans started laying a few days before she turned 16 weeks. i was so excited! NOW my 2 EE are getting close.....big red pea-combs, squatting, and 2 1/2 finger width pelvic bones! i can't wait to see the colors!! my BO looks like she'll be awhile.....no squatting and a pale face. haven't even checked her pelvic area. are they late layers? but my EE should be ANY DAY NOW!!! oh, they were hatched on April 12th. my Silkie hatched on May 2nd.....so even SHE may have potential soon. does anyone know if Silkies are late or early layers? and i wonder if her 1st eggs will be VERY tiny?

I have 11 hens born 4-19. The 5 RIR girls have grown nice red combs and wattles, but only 1 or 2 of my 6 BO girls are beginning to grow some wattles and just a tiny bit of comb. 2 of my RIR girls seem to be almost ready, they sort of do a 'half squat' sometimes when I reach down to them with my hand. So, yeah I'll wait with all yall for that first egg. I am going today to try to find some fake eggs or golf balls to put in the nests. I just bought my first sack of layer pellets yesterday...here's hoping:fl

Congratulations, Cabot, on your first eggs!! Yay!
clap.gif

I"m waiting too (and checking the bushes daily just in case to see if they're hiding them!). First time chicken-keeper and we only have 4 girls

BO and RIR hatched around April 15th
BR and Ancona hatched around April 24th

Everyone except the RIR has bright red combs and wattles. Trying to be patient...

Good grief! This week the girls have been showing varied interest in the nest boxes. Earlier this week I had one actually go in and stay there for a bit to get a feel for it.

They appear to be comparing notes, stretching their necks to look in this one, and that one. Today finally they all got in to check it out, and I only have two nests. One must have made some kind of positive comment about the left nest because the other two decided to hop on in to check it out themselves without waiting for their turn. I made the nests spacious, but not for three girls at the same time!

Quote:
Congratulations! I might have to go hunting on our property too just in case we have missed something! ;-) Why do you put the eggs in the bowl of water? Is it so you can tell if they are still ok to eat? We are still playing the waiting game here with our 1st week of April girls! Should be anytime within the next couple of weeks...can't wait!! :)

Back
Top Bottom