April 2010 Pullets- wanna wait with me?

Quote:
My two Delaware pullets were hatched April 18th or else April 19th.

One of the two little darlings just laid a fully formed, teny, tiny egg (3/8 ths of an ounce, 1 and 1/8 inch long) "fart" egg today.

It's about the size of one of those malted milk eggs you get at Easter time...

I got my chicks at TSC in mid-April. Early last week I thought I heard the egg song and started looking. My little Bambi disappeared into the woods overnight and came home the next day. I wonder if she laid an egg out there???? I found the first egg at the bottom of the manure pile, the next egg was in the middle of the back yard, found another in the grass in the back yard. I figured there should be some more in the next few days and .........nothing. The cover to the fire pit was leaning against the fire pit and who knows why, but I looked under it and there were 8 eggs!!! After that they started laying them in the nesting boxes in the coop. in the last week I have 1 1/2 dozen eggs from my 5 ladies. I put them all in a bowl of water and they stayed at the bottom. Dried them off and put them in the fridge. Today I ate 2 of them. They were the best eggs I ever had. They had kind of a creamy flavor to them. What good girls.
wee.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

HyLinda, what kind of chickens do you have? Yours are a couple of weeks younger than mine, and mine aren't even acting like they are close to laying.
I don't think any of our four are supposed to be early layers though, a BO, a Wyandotte an EE and something else (we're not sure what she is).
I really like hearing about all these April chicks laying, it gets me excited for when it's our turn!!

Our White leghorn rooster is quite interested in our WL pullet now. He had his way with her several times today, for the first time. (At least that I have seen.) While doing dishes tonight, I heard the egg song from her. I went out and could not find anything in the yard. Hopefully, we will find an egg real soon!

Still waiting. Impatiently.

The SLW's comb is getting pretty red. The white leghorn was actually hatched at the end of March. She is a touch red, but nowhere near what I think a mature hen would look.

IT WORKED ! ! ! ! ! The other day I posted a picture of Col. Sanders holding a bucket of Fried Chicken and today I got TWO eggs.

I hated to scare them like that, but we were tired of waiting for fresh eggs.

Bill

She did it! Dandelion laid her first egg yesterday! Hatched 4/21/10 WL! She is such a good girl! Now we get one egg a day until our second set of girls mature in about 6 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom