April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Well it's become painfully obvious that I have no self control. Like zero. I just picked up 7 Crested Cream Legbar eggs from a local breeder. Added them to the still air incubator with the ducks but I'll probably move them this evening. Both kicking myself and excited at the same time.

IMG_20200331_153308581.jpg

I love their eggs! I didn't realize that's who your Marans eggs were from. I'm considering getting some eggs from him but it's a little farther than I like to buy shipped eggs from. How was his packing?

The packing was on point! Double boxed and the eggs were in one of those foam mailers meant for shipping eggs. Still had some rough air cells, but since 13 of 16 eggs shipped are developing I’m super pleased. I can’t wait to see how many hatch. I’ve had such bad luck with Marans this year, that I’ll be happy with 4 or 5. 😅 My only gripe is that the eggs were really dirty, hence why that one probably started oozing, but so far so good with the rest.

Agh congratulations on winning that! As soon as I read "won an incubator," I was like oh man I bet they won the Highland Homestead give away 😂. I was so hoping to win the hatching egg prize! Maybe next time.

It looks like everyone has pretty much answered your questions about the Brinsea. I am on my second hatch with one and so far I like it, although I had more DIS eggs than hatched eggs with it in my first go. No idea why, but I dont think it was the incubator's fault.

I want to follow anybody here that is on instagram! I'm (at)tapiolahomestead . Tell me your insta handle and I'll follow you! ❤

For the turning angle, I just watch to make sure the egg is turning from one side to the other completely or nearly completely (I mark one side with an x and the other with an o), and adjust the angle accordingly. If the egg isn't turning at all, try switching which direction the fat side is facing (out or towards the center).

Do you follow Blackberry Hill Farm on instagram? She posted this cool looking hygrometer the other day and I'm considering getting one.
View attachment 2070328
Black_art_creations on insta!

I am on almost on day 7 of hatching eggs with an incubator, not sure what kind of chickens I have though, the owner said they were a mix of something.
How fun! I just hatched some barnyard mixes myself. I have fun guessing the parentage even though I know it will probably be impossible to know unless some super obvious trait shows up (like 5 toes or frizzled feathers).

Back
Top Bottom