April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

This clutch is now done.
We had 16 silkies hatch, and 3 who didn’t make it.
Of the three who didn’t hatch, 2 zipped halfway before quitting and one hit a vein and died before it could pip.

Of the 16 who did hatch, I’ve just moved 14 of them to the brooder and left the last two to finish drying off and find their legs.
Now for some pictures
View attachment 2626711View attachment 2626712View attachment 2626713View attachment 2626714View attachment 2626715View attachment 2626716View attachment 2626717View attachment 2626719
View attachment 2626724View attachment 2626725
Those are absolutelyPrecious! I just set 30 silkie eggs last night from a very good breeder! I can’t wait to see how they turn out!

So upset right now! I have 18 eggs going into lockdown today and after I got everything ready my incubator malfunctioned somehow! The temp just kept spiking. I think the thermostat went out ! And it’s the first time I’ve used this one. It’s a hova bator 2370. I have another one identical to it I got last year and have never had any problems with it. Luckily I had an old cooler bator that I was able to get my eggs into but now it’s a wait and see game. Just really disappointed! :hit

@LadiesAndJane did you ever get your bantam Cochin chicks? I got mine; they are pretty feisty! I will try and get some pics today.
Can’t wait to see photos! What colors did you get?
They just arrived today! Picked them up about two hours ago at the local post office. Two of them were looking a little peaked so they’re in the ICU which means instead of putting them with the other chicks under the brooder plate, they get a separate brooder with the red heat lamp at eye level so I can keep a closer eye on them.😊
Hopefully they’ll perk up in the next day or two and I can put them all together again.
I got some Welsummer and some other chicks for some other people. One of them also looked a bit droopy and is in with the Banties.
I only got three, the third ones with the other chicks and seems to be doing just fine! They sure are cute!🥰
C8BC7FAD-AB30-404A-B168-7F3ACEBDDB25.jpeg

Can’t wait to see photos! What colors did you get?
They just arrived today! Picked them up about two hours ago at the local post office. Two of them were looking a little peaked so they’re in the ICU which means instead of putting them with the other chicks under the brooder plate, they get a separate brooder with the red heat lamp at eye level so I can keep a closer eye on them.😊
Hopefully they’ll perk up in the next day or two and I can put them all together again.
I got some Welsummer and some other chicks for some other people. One of them also looked a bit droopy and is in with the Banties.
I only got three, the third ones with the other chicks and seems to be doing just fine! They sure are cute!🥰View attachment 2630239
AW, so cute! I hope they are feeling better soon. Mine are older, 3-4 weeks and they have a lot of feathers already. I wasn't able to get pics today but I will try tomorrow. Mine are "salmon" colored, seems to be kind of a peach color with a few reddish feathers. The breeder said they are good broodies which is what I am looking for.

AW, so cute! I hope they are feeling better soon. Mine are older, 3-4 weeks and they have a lot of feathers already. I wasn't able to get pics today but I will try tomorrow. Mine are "salmon" colored, seems to be kind of a peach color with a few reddish feathers. The breeder said they are good broodies which is what I am looking for.
Cochins are very good broodies. I have the regular sized ones and they are the best mother hens I have. They have not gone broody this year, but when they do, I will give them each 2 eggs so they can have chicks.

Back
Top Bottom