April 2022 hatch-a-long (non-Easter, and Easter welcome)

Pics
She’s all fluffed up now 💕 we’re still waiting for her sibling to hatch

Attachments

• 2C14E2C9-2D2B-44C6-9838-123B9D6B3416.jpeg
    2C14E2C9-2D2B-44C6-9838-123B9D6B3416.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 3
  • BF255609-A8F4-4BFC-8E26-66FCA8795F1C.jpeg
    BF255609-A8F4-4BFC-8E26-66FCA8795F1C.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 3
20220429_215138.jpg
20220429_215132.jpg

Hello 😄 This is my first time incubating chicken eggs and my first post here! They are now on day 18, so they are due to hatch on monday. I'm a bit nervous about the air pockets if they are too small, but all the chicks but one are moving inside the eggs and seem fine. I did the floating test-thing yesterday on the egg that I think have died, but it was floating like it should so I was thinking I can give it a go.

Well, the first batch of my multiple-power-outage clutches is day 21....ish. The first batch should have hatched around the 24th, instead I had one chick yesterday, one today, and another that looks like it may be internally pipped. Three eggs were late quitters that I suspect died a few days ago during the last of FIVE power outages. The two chicks that have hatched so far both have curled feet, which I was expecting given all the in ovo trauma from having the power out so many times in the second and third weeks. I've given them a sugar-water/vitamin mix in the hopes that it helps them.

The second clutch of six was originally due to hatch tomorrow, but given the timing of the first clutch I'm guessing a similar delay will have them hatching around 05.04 at the earliest. Luckily, all six eggs are candling with lots of healthy movement.

Also on the bright side, our power issues have been "permanently" fixed - They are building an Amazon server farm down the road from us, and the construction somehow accidentally messed with a power line.

278804263_741756090173239_137308712537137737_n.jpg

Well, the first batch of my multiple-power-outage clutches is day 21....ish. The first batch should have hatched around the 24th, instead I had one chick yesterday, one today, and another that looks like it may be internally pipped. Three eggs were late quitters that I suspect died a few days ago during the last of FIVE power outages. The two chicks that have hatched so far both have curled feet, which I was expecting given all the in ovo trauma from having the power out so many times in the second and third weeks. I've given them a sugar-water/vitamin mix in the hopes that it helps them.

The second clutch of six was originally due to hatch tomorrow, but given the timing of the first clutch I'm guessing a similar delay will have them hatching around 05.04 at the earliest. Luckily, all six eggs are candling with lots of healthy movement.

Also on the bright side, our power issues have been "permanently" fixed - They are building an Amazon server farm down the road from us, and the construction somehow accidentally messed with a power line.

View attachment 3085090
That is crazy! Hopefully the rest will hatch ok!

So, good news and bad news from my 5 power outage clutches.

The bad: the two chicks that hatched Friday were extremely weak and did not make it past 3 days old.

The good news: it's hatch day for the second batch, and of 6 eggs I have two that just hatched right in front of me and are kamikaze-ing their way around the hatcher, two externally pipped, and one internally pipped. I do suspect that the sixth egg is a late quitter, but given what these eggs went through? I'll take it!
20220503_103247.jpg

Back
Top Bottom