April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
you and me both are in the overstuffed incubator club 😂 but do you really hand turn all those eggs! Much respect to you on that, I would not have the patience!
Yup, because auto-turners take too much space! I can get more eggs in this way. And, it forces me to check on them and make sure everything is okay.

Yup, because auto-turners take too much space! I can get more eggs in this way. And, it forces me to check on them and make sure everything is okay.
The turners do take up a lot of space in the smaller incubators! In the Dickey’s cabinet they hold the whole rack so it doesn’t reduce the capacity.

I have a batch of overflow eggs in the hatching level right now and I’m semi hand turning them with a wire shelf in sliding back and forth 3 x a day.

When The large batch of 150 eggs is ready to hatch I’m going to have to take them out of the dickeys so I can hatch on 2 shelves. 🤞🏼 I can squish 76 eggs into my nr & brinsea without the turners and then I guess I’ll be in your shoes for a few days of rolling each one.

The turners do take up a lot of space in the smaller incubators! In the Dickey’s cabinet they hold the whole rack so it doesn’t reduce the capacity.

I have a batch of overflow eggs in the hatching level right now and I’m semi hand turning them with a wire shelf in sliding back and forth 3 x a day.

When The large batch of 150 eggs is ready to hatch I’m going to have to take them out of the dickeys so I can hatch on 2 shelves. 🤞🏼 I can squish 76 eggs into my nr & brinsea without the turners and then I guess I’ll be in your shoes for a few days of rolling each one.
I seriously need another incubator, if only for lockdown/hatching. But financially I just can't do it right now.

I'm thinking that I'll sell some of the upcoming chicks to be able to buy another incubator.

And as for the turning, I do have a method: I take the egg from one side, roll the others in that row over, then the egg is placed on the end. That way, they get rotated as well as turned.

I seriously need another incubator, if only for lockdown/hatching. But financially I just can't do it right now.

I'm thinking that I'll sell some of the upcoming chicks to be able to buy another incubator.

And as for the turning, I do have a method: I take the egg from one side, roll the others in that row over, then the egg is placed on the end. That way, they get rotated as well as turned
That’s a smart method. I’ll try and see if I do something like that in my smaller incubators even though their kindof rounded.

It’s fun having a lot of incubator space, I got lucky and got a great deal on my cabinet. I’m guessing the second hand market has gone up like everything else but maybe worth looking around.

That’s a smart method. I’ll try and see if I do something like that in my smaller incubators even though their kindof rounded.

It’s fun having a lot of incubator space, I got lucky and got a great deal on my cabinet. I’m guessing the second hand market has gone up like everything else but maybe worth looking around.

Only incubators I've seen online were this bunch of trashed ones that had been kept in a barn for years. And were sold as is. I'm no electrician, so that was a hard pass.

So, a friend decided they needed our help with hatching turkey eggs, 16 of them, just an experiment they said. Anyways, Never done so and gee they're large, my hens had tiny eggs under them for the most part. I decided I'd help, though the cost was I had to take 5 eggs from one of the SF's and another 5 from my latest broody on here I mentioned, and gave them to my other SF, she now has 15 eggs under her, thank goodness they're smaller and all fit underneath her. The turkey eggs on the other hand, i gave 8 to each and they barely fit, but my friend said it'll be fine, or at least they think it'll be fine.
I'm now in charge of 32 eggs in total, 16 not even being mine- Y'all give me what I need to handle all this 😪, 😥.

So, a friend decided they needed our help with hatching turkey eggs, 16 of them, just an experiment they said. Anyways, Never done so and gee they're large, my hens had tiny eggs under them for the most part. I decided I'd help, though the cost was I had to take 5 eggs from one of the SF's and another 5 from my latest broody on here I mentioned, and gave them to my other SF, she now has 15 eggs under her, thank goodness they're smaller and all fit underneath her. The turkey eggs on the other hand, i gave 8 to each and they barely fit, but my friend said it'll be fine, or at least they think it'll be fine.
I'm now in charge of 32 eggs in total, 16 not even being mine- Y'all give me what I need to handle all this 😪, 😥.
You are hatching all of them with broodies? If they are good moms you got nothing to worry about👍 Good broodies are the best!

Back
Top Bottom