April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I have an update on my April eggs.
I’m down to five out of seven shipped Opal Legbar eggs.
I have one very early blood ring and a lightbulb. I knew there was a risk with shipped eggs, but they’re all five horribly saddled, and I’m not getting my hopes up.
As for my five eggs, one was a lightbulb, and the other four look great. I’m excited because half of those are out of my game hens who are practically zero maintenance, tick eaters, and nest in the trees and my beautiful long-tailed black rooster who I hope pass on his long-tailed genes. I hatched out quite a few of their babies in March and am thrilled with how they are looking.

I’ve been having serious issues with keeping the temp up in my incubator. My thermometer is accurately reading around 98, and I’m hoping it doesn’t seriously affect the hatch…although it itself isn’t looking the hottest lol.

Although I’m not the happiest with the shipped eggs, I’m still looking online for Liege Fighter eggs to try to hatch for my husband’s birthday and a new incubator. I like to waste money. 🤪😂

*Picture is of my long-tailed boy. I’m thinking he might be a Sumatra cross? Not sure. He was given to me as well as my game hens.

Attachments

• 48761325-FF9A-496D-8699-9243AE3AB7E9.jpeg
    48761325-FF9A-496D-8699-9243AE3AB7E9.jpeg
    710.8 KB · Views: 1
  • A09AE590-CCFF-410F-B0C3-9DDA2BAE1FD9.jpeg
    A09AE590-CCFF-410F-B0C3-9DDA2BAE1FD9.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 1
I have one very early blood ring and a lightbulb. I knew there was a risk with shipped eggs, but they’re all five horribly saddled, and I’m not getting my hopes up.
As for my five eggs, one was a lightbulb, and the other four look great. I’m excited because half of those are out of my game hens who are practically zero maintenance, tick eaters, and nest in the trees and my beautiful long-tailed black rooster who I hope pass on his long-tailed genes. I hatched out quite a few of their babies in March and am thrilled with how they are looking.

I’ve been having serious issues with keeping the temp up in my incubator. My thermometer is accurately reading around 98, and I’m hoping it doesn’t seriously affect the hatch…although it itself isn’t looking the hottest lol.

Although I’m not the happiest with the shipped eggs, I’m still looking online for Liege Fighter eggs to try to hatch for my husband’s birthday and a new incubator. I like to waste money. 🤪😂

*Picture is of my long-tailed boy. I’m thinking he might be a Sumatra cross? Not sure. He was given to me as well as my game hens.
Awh saddled doesn’t mean all is lost though! I had a good hatch for shipped eggs in February and all mine were really saddled. 9 out of 14 hatched.
@junior67 has has good success with saddled eggs too.

last year I had some shipped eggs with HORRIBLY saddled air cells and they all hatched with ZERO issues!!!!! I will find the pictures and post them. But they were BAD! so I wouldn't give up hope because of that.

can you bump up the temp on your incubator? if you can then I would do that and see if you can get it higher.

I can't wait to see how she grows out. right now she just looks lavender with a brownish head. LOL The breeder told me that was an Isabel Lavender Brahma. Which I was REALLY hoping to get so I was thrilled!!!!!
Only one of my Isabel orps hatched out of two last time and I think she is a pullet!
Now breeder has Isabel Ameraucana and I only have one chick (wheaten) and three in the incubator look to be duds so…..I need them lol

Only one of my Isabel orps hatched out of two last time and I think she is a pullet!
Now breeder has Isabel Ameraucana and I only have one chick (wheaten) and three in the incubator look to be duds so…..I need them lol
Good luck!!!!!!!! I have Lavender Splash Orpingtons, Lavender Mottled Orpingtons, and Lavender Orpingtons in the incubator this time! I hatched 2 "lav orps" from my breeder last time and they hatched black.. LOL So she isn't sure if she has a split imposter in her lav pen or if somehow the eggs got labeled wrong. So she sent me 1 egg from each of her girls in her Lav pen to hatch and see if any are imposters. LOL

@junior67 of course all my blue eggs wouldn’t develop! :lau
I feel like we have similar luck!
OMG sounds like we do!!!!! Colored eggs HATE HATE HATE me!!!!!!!! Even if I buy chicks that are colored egg layers something goes wrong!!!! (ie: OE that lays brown, EE that lays such pale blue it looks white, CCL that I think internally lays so no eggs from her)......

Back
Top Bottom