April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I am incubating only the eggs that I am pretty sure have been fertilized by my rooster. Our three Polish hens have not yet been accepted by the rooster, so their small, white eggs are set aside for breakfast. The rest of our hens lay brown eggs and large white and buff colored eggs so it's easy to tell them. I am using my brand new NR360 that I bought 3 weeks ago at the farm and feed store. I haven't incubated eggs before, so this is going to be an adventure! They should be due April 10th.
IMG_1301a.jpg

I am incubating only the eggs that I am pretty sure have been fertilized by my rooster. Our three Polish hens have not yet been accepted by the rooster, so their small, white eggs are set aside for breakfast. The rest of our hens lay brown eggs and large white and buff colored eggs so it's easy to tell them. I am using my brand new NR360 that I bought 3 weeks ago at the farm and feed store. I haven't incubated eggs before, so this is going to be an adventure! They should be due April 10th.View attachment 3441160
Make sure you use a calibrated hygrometer/thermometer in there as well. I love my NR360 but I need mine set around 100.5 for it to ave 99.5 in there. The humidity is off a bit but not a ton.

Is that a heating pad under it?

Candled eggs tonight and 23 of my 35 look to be developing! All due 4/7-4/8! I’m super excited as these are eggs I’ve been planning for since September! Finding bantam Ameraucanas in CA has proven to be more difficult than I expected 😩 So, I’m hoping to hatch black, self-blue, blue, and cuckoo! 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I sadly had a hen suddenly die in the nesting box yesterday and I was super upset. She was my only bobtail Cochin and I’ve only had her for two months 😢 I just loved her spunky chatty personality. Well she’d been laying since I got her so I grabbed all the eggs from her that I had and stuck them in the incubator last night—if fertile they’d hatch 4/12. I had 8, 4 I’d just collected the day before and 4 I’ve had on the counter for about two or three weeks. I’m not at all expecting those 4 to develop, but you never know right? I should know if they’re even fertile by Sunday. I sure hope a couple hatch!!

I have one lone egg still in my incubator, waiting to see if it makes it out to join the crew from yesterday! After that, I'm cleaning up my NR360 and filling it again! My husband and I went to a farm for our anniversary, and I grabbed a dozen of their eggs... that was 12 days ago already tho... I'm being HOPEFUL! But idk what going to come of it. She sold them to me at regular eating price, so won't be all too much lost if nothing happens.. the remaining 10 will be more from 2 of my own mixes. With my March hatch that's ending now, I have 1 rooster and 8 hens. I placed 3 or 4 eggs from 6 of them in my incubator. One of the girls eggs, I had 4 in there, all were clear and removed on day 8. Then all 3 from one other girl had problems, I'm placing my mix from just those 2 girls to check if it was a fluke or not.... Not sure what this hatch has in store for me... this will only be my second time. But I'm also ok if it doesn't progress as greatly, as I have 25 baby chicks idk what to do with ATM!:lau just watching them grow!!

I am incubating only the eggs that I am pretty sure have been fertilized by my rooster. Our three Polish hens have not yet been accepted by the rooster, so their small, white eggs are set aside for breakfast. The rest of our hens lay brown eggs and large white and buff colored eggs so it's easy to tell them. I am using my brand new NR360 that I bought 3 weeks ago at the farm and feed store. I haven't incubated eggs before, so this is going to be an adventure! They should be due April 10th.View attachment 3441160
What do you write on the eggs?

Candled all three mama's eggs tonight, The bo's eggs had good air pockets, her sisters bo eggs (two) did too but i didn't see veining so they may be quitters. Ill give them a chance and if nothing is visible in the next 3 days ill take them away. The other 4 are again, too dark, saw veining in one though, and the rest as far pockets go, look good. Now the first SF, same problem, too dark, Saw veining in 3 out of 5 and the other two look good. Now finally, the last SF, she has white bantam eggs so very easy to see through, out of 5, 4 have developed, 1 is completlely clear. So out of 16 eggs, 15 have developed, some may of quit but 15 isn't bad as far as being fertile.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom