April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Definitely depends on the breed. I have had a lot of success with Pekins for broodies. I think there is a Pekin breeder in Mayo if you want to try them out!

Edited to add they are called Jazz-a-belle Poultry!
I think my husband would go mad if I mention getting any more breeds! I have a wishlist but I'm going to have to wait. He was talking to me about downsizing the flock today so there'll probably be no new breeds for the moment. I will convince him gradually. ;)

The Pekins are so lovely, though! Was it in Ireland you had them? How did you get on with their feathered feet in this wet climate? Salmon Faverolles would be on my list as well if I wasn't worried about the feathered feet.

I have La Bresse and Australorps and one Light Sussex hen. I know the Bresse are a very non-broody breed and I've read mixed opinions about Australorps. Some say they're very broody and others say they're not at all. I guess it depends on the strain.

The breeder I got the hatching eggs from had trouble getting me enough Light Sussex eggs because a lot of his hens went broody at the time he was collecting for me so I'm thinking she might be my best bet. She spends a really long time in the nest before and after laying but I don't know if that means anything.

I think my husband would go mad if I mention getting any more breeds! I have a wishlist but I'm going to have to wait. He was talking to me about downsizing the flock today so there'll probably be no new breeds for the moment. I will convince him gradually. ;)

The Pekins are so lovely, though! Was it in Ireland you had them? How did you get on with their feathered feet in this wet climate? Salmon Faverolles would be on my list as well if I wasn't worried about the feathered feet.

I have La Bresse and Australorps and one Light Sussex hen. I know the Bresse are a very non-broody breed and I've read mixed opinions about Australorps. Some say they're very broody and others say they're not at all. I guess it depends on the strain.

The breeder I got the hatching eggs from had trouble getting me enough Light Sussex eggs because a lot of his hens went broody at the time he was collecting for me so I'm thinking she might be my best bet. She spends a really long time in the nest before and after laying but I don't know if that means anything.
My one girl that went broody in Oct is a Sicilian buttercup and it says they almost never go broody..... Lol. I have a few breeds. I know at least 1 is known to go broody and it has proven true to me. Of course I have 4 of them and all but 1 has gone broody a couple of them were 2-3 times last year. Lol

1680178835278.jpeg

Candled my eggs last night, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I only had two clear from the latest batch! And one blood ring. I may have two quitters from my first batch, but that's still over 50 eggs developing right now!

AND today I add a dozen more, so as to have them hatch on my grandson's birthday. I was actually able to shuffle things around to make room for them. Who knew a Little Giant could hold 68 eggs on one level??! Granted, a bunch of those are bantams...

My Bresse hens have been my broodiest birds ever! Both of them non stop try to sneak and sit on eggs. They were from 2 different breeders and both had that quality. But American Bresse may be pretty different from the ones you have.

Yes, they are very cute. (I think in the US they are called bantam Cochins). I got mine from a local breeder here in Cavan because I wanted some hens that would be good moms. Last year I had 2 go broody at the same time and they raised chicks together. I kept breaking them for the rest of the summer but they kept going broody all the time😅 They are bantams but they are not so small that they can’t tolerate my Swedish Flower roosters.

Yes, the feet do get muddy at times & I am not a fan of the feathered feet myself, but they were available locally so I got some and I have gotten to really like them. Maybe you could take your husband to go look at some and he might change his mind when he sees how cute they are? 😂

Ok I can’t find that other thread now about the Brinsea 24 turner issues so I’ll just post here. I have noticed that the larger eggs are having issues if they are on the outside ring of the turner. I had a few larger eggs get out of place there, but I moved all of the larger eggs to the inner ring now and so far so good. They have been in the incubator about 24 hours now.

Ok I can’t find that other thread now about the Brinsea 24 turner issues so I’ll just post here. I have noticed that the larger eggs are having issues if they are on the outside ring of the turner. I had a few larger eggs get out of place there, but I moved all of the larger eggs to the inner ring now and so far so good. They have been in the incubator about 24 hours now.
Did you try pointing the larger ones out instead of in? If it's all good now, hopefully it will stay that way. I remember thinking mine was ok several times and then a day later I'd have to swap another stuck one. I think I spent the whole incubation moving eggs around and fussing over where was the best place for each one so they'd all turn. Not what you would expect to have to do after buying such a high priced machine! I hope it goes better than that for you.

My Bresse hens have been my broodiest birds ever! Both of them non stop try to sneak and sit on eggs. They were from 2 different breeders and both had that quality. But American Bresse may be pretty different from the ones you have.
Wow, that's interesting!

I wonder how different they are from the ones here. Are yours good at flying? I had read that they aren't great flyers but my hens can fly up from the ground onto a 2m tall pergola. Not so much the cockerels but still, I guess you can't go by what you read about what a breed should or shouldn't be like.

Back
Top Bottom