Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Thanks to all for participating in our April Fools' 2012 fun!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...tions-exotic-backyard-animals/50#post_8709192

As you all know, we recently upgraded our forum software to a new platform. One of the huge benefits to this platform is how it functions with regard to SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Basically what that means is that BYC is ranking higher and higher for internet searches on sites like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.

Over the past month we've seen some very surprising yet interesting trends in the keywords people are searching for and then clicking to discover BYC.

Naturally there are the top 5 keywords as we'd expect:

• chickens
  • chicken coop plans
  • chicken coops
  • buff orpington
  • backyard chickens

... but what was odd / interesting was some of the fastest growing terms over the last 30 days:
  • raising zebras
  • bats in backyard
  • domestic tigers
  • exotic animal rescue

After a lot of data analysis and discussion amongst the BYC Staff we've decided to do a test to see if we can capture this growing interest and convert these searchers into members of the community.

We're going to expand our "Other Pets & Livestock" section of the forum and add a handful of sub-forums to hopefully encourage the discussion and attraction of these visitors to the site. Here are the initial sections based on our research of top keywords searched:

1. Big Cats - Lions, Tigers, Cheetahs, Jaguars, etc.
  2. Exotic Foragers - Elephants, Camels, Gazelles, Giraffes, Caribou, Zebras, etc.
  3. Other Exotics - Chimpanzees, Orangutans, Koalas, Wombats, Kangaroos, Bats, etc.

Each of those link to the newly created sections of the site. If you have experience with any of these animals we encourage and ask that you post your experiences and questions. This will do two important things:

1. Significantly increase our rankings in the search engines for these very quickly growing terms
  2. Encourage people who are searching for these terms to join the site and participate

You can see all the new sections here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

We thank you for your support of our community and look forward to the success and growth of these new areas of our wonderful site.

If you have any questions, ideas, or comments, please post them here!

Last edited by a moderator:
OH! One other VERY important item:

BYC does not support or condone the illegal keeping, raising, or transferring of animals. Please make 100% sure that it is legal to have the animals you are interested in raising in your city!

I know that a lot of people are also getting into raising foxes. Just saying.
Kudos on the sub-forums!
thumbsup.gif

There's also some people who have hawks, owls etc for falconry or rehabilitation (such as if one gets a broken wing).

When I was a kid, many many years ago, we had a neighbor that had a pet chimpanzee. I remember thinking that was so cool. It lived in the house and even used the toilet.

Yeah, new forums are always a bonus. It's fun to learn about new possibilities.

I never thought I would ever have an emu, but I hatched two. Heck, what should I try next?

I second the falconry and wildlife rehabilitation suggestions..

I would also suggest a reptile section. I have a friend who has been wanting to start a komodo dragon club...

Not necessarily exotics but I also think it would be great to have other farm animal sections..ie. cows, goats, horses, pigs etc. I know these are covered on backyardherds but frankly, there is very little traffic there compared to BYC and the more active members are from BYC anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya I was pretty surprized when I went to the horse section because horses are a well horses everyone who has 1 wants to talk about them. There was so little there and the last posts in many sections that I thought would be very active were dead for weeks......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom