April Fools 2012 - New Forums / Sections - Exotic Backyard Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know wooly mammoths, like the one in the picture, arent allowed as pets in Denver, but no one has said anything to me yet. I guess no one wants to mess with a 16 ft pleistocene monster . If your interested, let me know, Ill get you some eggs.

yuckyuck.gif
Just how big is a mammoth egg? Will it fit in an LG?
Chupacabra_photo.png

I want to raise some of these but I hear they are hard to come by. Anyone have chupacabras? PM me if you do.

wow a new forum site to go to? interesting, I still have yet to properly go on this one. I dont spend much time on byc at all anymore. its still real slow, the only site that is slow. imo. anyways, good luck tho.

th.gif

I know wooly mammoths, like the one in the picture, arent allowed as pets in Denver, but no one has said anything to me yet. I guess no one wants to mess with a 16 ft pleistocene monster . If your interested, let me know, Ill get you some eggs.

Me, me!! I would love 2 wooly mammoth eggs, if you have some available. I can improv a bator for them...

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif
Just how big is a mammoth egg? Will it fit in an LG?
Chupacabra_photo.png

I want to raise some of these but I hear they are hard to come by. Anyone have chupacabras? PM me if you do.

Sorry, I don't have any. If you find someone who does, let me know though! I might be interested!

My suggestion is not for other pets but I would like to see a permanent forum for "Gardening with Chickens". I am VERY interested in learning to use my chickens to benefit my gardening as well.

I'd really like a camel, but will have to settle for my favorite weird pic: the camoodle.

Or the alien-oodle.

As far as appropriate for the forum, there's the pea-oodle:

I am  certified in wild life rehabilitation from IWRC - International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council.  It is ABSOLUTELY not a good idea to keep any wild bird or animal as a pet.  These are not domesticated, and no matter how kind and loving you are to them they are wild.  When they become sexually mature they will want to do what they do.  Often they become unmanageable, showing signs of aggression, and become a liability.   Wild birds, owls, hawks, ravens, crows etc. all require special permits form US Fish and Wildlife, and possibly from your local state to keep.   There are very specific requirements as to what size enclosure they require.   The rescue center where I work often receives birds that people have found and tried to keep.  We get them when the bird or animal has become sick and almost dead from lack of proper food.  These poor birds and animal have become either imprinted or habituated to living in conditions that do not allow them to be returned to the wild.  They are not afraid of humans, do not know how to find food, don't know what food looks like in the wild.  It is not a good outcome for any of them.  PLEASE DO NOT TAKE WILDLIFE AS PETS!    www.shastawildliferescue.com

I agree 100% here with crowzzz. Wild animals don't belong in captivity. There are circumstances when there are not alternative for a wild animals. Such as when someone took them from the wild and they can no longer be returned. I think that if BYC sets up such forums then it IS in a way condoning it. Cock fighting is not allowed to be mentioned here, so BYC can and has taken a stand against what they believe to be unethical. 28 states have laws that forbid owning a tiger in captivity. 17 require permits. Only 8 allow it. Why would there need to be a forum for the handful of tiger owners that MAY log onto BYC? The reality is, most people that think it would be fun to own an exotic pet aren't prepared or qualified to care for it properly. Many animals languish in cages too small, get passed from person to person because the novelty DOES wear off, and the animals usually don't have the care needed because veterinarians that can treat them are difficult to find and costly.

Right now there is a place on the forums where people can ask questions. The ability to search for information is available to them. I hope that BYC will reconsider. There are many more other topics that I think would fit in better on BYC. Many people that come here farm, have small home businesses, strive to live healthy lifestyles. These types of topics would be used much more. The likelihood that someone logging on to find information about tigers will end up deciding that chickens are for them are slimmer than someone who logs on to find out how to use worm castings in their garden. THAT person is more likely to be interested in learning more about chickens and possibly keeping them.

This could bring some much needed awareness to the exotic pet industry.
I think we all could learn a lot. Perhaps add a forum on Entomology
with sub forums of: edible, non edible, poisonous, beneficial,
with special forums on bees, butterflies, and other pollinators.
Plus we need forums on worms and fly larvae
Oh and a beneficial / edible fungi section too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom