April Fools 2016 - New Development: Chicken Feed That Changes Egg Shell Color!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would destroy so much of the market.

This is terrible.

Think your getting a quality bird that lays a strong blue egg? Nope. Just feed.
Think your maran eggs are nice and dark? Nope. Just feed.
Think you're buying a colored hatching eggs? Psych! Just my leghorns on fun feed.
Say goodbye to Easter Eggers! No need.

Ugh, just no no and NO!

So much scamming to be had in the future. Make friends with your breeders now folks! The poultry industry is about to become a box of chocolates! (And I don't mean orpingtons.) HA!

No, actually I've been following the research on this and it really IS a thing!
As Amelia Egghart said, they use natural products to color/dye the shell material as its being produced. A lot of work went into this Can't wait to see the results!..

You know incidentally sometimes my chicken egg's color changed. I wonder if I stumbled onto something accidentally.

This is not right at all. Guys, think about this. If this feed is commercialized, buyers will not car as much about rainbow eggs from local backyard flock. You are sucking everything out of these other breeds! Master breeders have put together these amazing birds for egg color and many other things! This would be a disaster if this is commercialized!

Bad idea... do NOT support this.. It might seem fun at first, but think about its future affects on a much larger scale.

This would destroy so much of the market.

This is terrible.

Think your getting a quality bird that lays a strong blue egg? Nope. Just feed.
Think your maran eggs are nice and dark? Nope. Just feed.
Think you're buying a colored hatching eggs? Psych! Just my leghorns on fun feed.
Say goodbye to Easter Eggers! No need.

Ugh, just no no and NO!

So much scamming to be had in the future. Make friends with your breeders now folks! The poultry industry is about to become a box of chocolates! (And I don't mean orpingtons.) HA!
No it wouldn't, think of the market; you could sell your EE and Marans eggs as "Organic", "Fully natural", "No artificial colors or feeds" and charge 50% more for them just like they do in the supermarkets.

Now I'm even more glad I decided to get Americana pullets, I'm gonna be rich!
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
I feel the same way you do ! I don't think we should mess with the natural color of a hens egg.. putting something in the feed that can change the color could be harmful to the chicken and maybe even the people eating those eggs?? Also some people may try to SELL them as 'BROWN' eggs which are more expensive in stores...when in reality they are just regular white eggs!

'Easter in a Bag' maybe? 'Egg Color Spectrum'?
I really want to know what happens with brown egg laying hens, I only have one white egg laying hen and I don't want to separate her. So I want to feed it to all of my hens.

I am thinking I will buy the product or at least look at the ingredient list, and try to figure out the coloring agent. Someone said herrings were used. for the pink color, Why not just buy some herring from the fish markets ( yes we even have them in Minnesota) They throw hundreds of pound of fish that go bad away every day. I bet they would sell it cheap just to keep the garbage costs down....

I bet the yellow is something with lots of sulfur in it. The tag on the bag will be worth a lot to people like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom