April Fools...and a daughter's payback

LedgeWoods

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Midwest
We had hatched 33 new chicks
jumpy.gif
late last week. We had the remaining 15 snug and warm under the heat lamp in a box on a table in the basement over the weekend waiting for their new owner to pick them up on Monday...April Fools Day. The household rule was, "Basement door stays shut," so our housecat would not cause any problems. Early Monday morning, DH decides to stage a "cat invasion" & make me accessory to the crime. I ran yelling to two sleepy teenagers that the cat had gotten downstairs and got at the chicks. Our daughter came FLYING out of her room and down the steps to see her dad on hands and knees pretending to gather chicks running around on the carpet. (Our son didn't fall for it completely...I was already laughing hysterically when he came out of his room.
lau.gif
) She had a sense of humor about it...we thought for sure we were in for it at some point the rest of the day. But by bedtime, no prank from her. Hmmm, guess she forgot.

So, as I do every morning, I got up this morning and put DH's lunch together to take to work. The kids and I are off yet on Spring Break. Mid-morning, as I sat at the kitchen table catching up on some paperwork, DH calls and says sarcastically, "April Fools...ha ha!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. April Fools?" I said...then our daughter seated across the table doubles over laughing uncontrollably. She switched a couple uncooked eggs into the hard-boiled egg carton the previous day...guess who put a hard-boiled egg into DH's lunchbox?! Or should I say I THOUGHT I put a hard-boiled egg in DH's lunchbox. And guess who cracked the egg on his desk?

...DD wins this year.
roll.png

Tell her that Sourland says congratulations. Memories like this are what family togetherness/traditions are based upon. 20 years in the future when ou are all sitting around the table, this day will still be funny.
hugs.gif

She's the sweet, innocent type that you'd never expect sneaky, sassy stuff from. A few years ago...around mid-October as DH & I were coming back from a walk, she jumped out of the corn field we were walking next to in a Texas Chainsaw Massacre costume. Both of us screamed like little girls. DH thought he'd get her back the next morning by walking in her room to wake her up with a creepy mask on...only to find that she had made it look like she was sleeping in her bed (stuffed with pillows) and was actually sleeping in her brother's room. She won twice on that one :) All good clean family fun :)

Haha!
My 12-year-old niece woke up that morning and complained that the (not-quite-housetrained) dog had peed on her shoes, so she couldn't wear them. My 10-year-old niece erupts into massive laughter as I'm trying to rush them both to help "sew" up the new net to cover the chicken pen. That's when the 10-year-old revealed she had poured melted butter into the 12-year-old's shoes for April Fool's!

Thankfully, the older one couldn't stay mad, she started laughing at herself! And a good TWO runs through the washing machine with hot water cleared it all up!

Back
Top Bottom