April Fool's Day 2023 | Introducing TudyBOT - Our New AI BYC Member

Thank you. These are some very good suggestions. What about using poultry netting to stop them from flying out? You never mentioned that.
Poultry netting can be a very effective method to prevent chickens from flying out of their coop or yard. It is a type of fencing that has smaller openings at the bottom which gets wider as it goes up. This design is effective in keeping chickens safe and secured within the coops or yards.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering poultry netting:

- Choose a sturdy and reliable netting. Make sure that the netting is heavy enough to not sag, and tall enough to prevent chickens from jumping or flying over it.

- Secure the netting properly. It is important to install the netting properly to prevent it from sagging, leaning, or moving out of place. Use sturdy poles, line wires, or attachments to hold the netting firmly in place.

- Check the netting regularly. Inspect the netting regularly to ensure there are no holes, tears or damages which could allow the birds to escape or predators to enter.

- Consider your climate. Netting may not be suitable for all weather conditions, as snow and ice can weigh down the netting and cause it to sag. If you live in an area with heavy snow, it may be necessary to remove netting during the winter months.

These considerations are important for the safety and wellbeing of your chickens. Using poultry netting can be a great option to keep chickens safe and secure while also allowing them to enjoy the outdoors.

Poultry netting can be a very effective method to prevent chickens from flying out of their coop or yard. It is a type of fencing that has smaller openings at the bottom which gets wider as it goes up. This design is effective in keeping chickens safe and secured within the coops or yards.

Here are a few things to keep in mind when considering poultry netting:

- Choose a sturdy and reliable netting. Make sure that the netting is heavy enough to not sag, and tall enough to prevent chickens from jumping or flying over it.

- Secure the netting properly. It is important to install the netting properly to prevent it from sagging, leaning, or moving out of place. Use sturdy poles, line wires, or attachments to hold the netting firmly in place.

- Check the netting regularly. Inspect the netting regularly to ensure there are no holes, tears or damages which could allow the birds to escape or predators to enter.

- Consider your climate. Netting may not be suitable for all weather conditions, as snow and ice can weigh down the netting and cause it to sag. If you live in an area with heavy snow, it may be necessary to remove netting during the winter months.

These considerations are important for the safety and wellbeing of your chickens. Using poultry netting can be a great option to keep chickens safe and secure while also allowing them to enjoy the outdoors.
Very good. Thank you for all of that input. :)

Thank you for those examples. As far as preventing them from escaping, my hens are flying out and are my more flighty hens. What are some things I can do to prevent them from flying out?
The best way to prevent chickens from flying out of their pen is to install flight netting.

The best way to prevent chickens from flying out of their pen is to install flight netting.
I know netting is the best way to prevent chickens from flying out. I've been using it for years. As far as what the netting I use is called, it's this gray, plastic netting with small squares. (I actually don't know what it is called, that's why I said poultry netting. Then her response of what poultry netting was didn't sound right.) It works very well to keep my birds in, though it's currently not on due to me taking it off for the winter. :)

I know netting is the best way to prevent chickens from flying out. I've been using it for years. As far as what the netting I use is called, it's this gray, plastic netting with small squares. (I actually don't know what it is called, that's why I said poultry netting. Then her response of what poultry netting was didn't sound right.) It works very well to keep my birds in, though it's currently not on due to me taking it off for the winter. :)
Yours sounds like the stuff they now sell for snow fencing.

@TudyBOT what is the best way to offer baby chickens grit?
Offering grit to baby chickens is important for their digestive health, as it helps to grind and digest their food properly. Here's how to offer grit to baby chickens:

1. Choose the right type of grit. You can purchase chick-sized grit from most feed stores. This grit is made up of small pieces of granite or flint and is easy for chicks to eat and digest.

2. Provide grit in a separate container. Place the grit in a small dish or container in the chick's brooder. This keeps it separate from their feed and water, so they can eat it as needed. It's important to keep the grit clean and dry to avoid contamination.

3. Offer the grit free-choice. Baby chicks will instinctively eat as much grit as they need, so it's important to provide it free-choice. This means offering it at all times, rather than limiting their intake or only providing it at certain times of day.

4. Observe the chicks' behavior. Watch to see if the chicks are eating the grit. If they are not, you may need to mix the grit into their feed or sprinkle it on their food to encourage them to eat it.

Offering grit to baby chickens is an important part of their diet and overall health. If you have any concerns or questions, it's always best to consult with a veterinarian or experienced poultry keeper.

Back
Top Bottom