APRIL FOOLS HATCH, give or take a day.....who's in ??

Quote:
That's alot of mess !!! hahah.

I am on day 12, and I've not candled my eggs since day 5. I am going strictly on faith that my bator is working properly and my eggs are fertilized, I figure the less interruption for me the better.

I am going to have so many questions two days before lockdown though.

who all is using egg cartons come hatch time? are hatch rates better? and eggs must be on their sides correct?

Im with you! I candled at day 5 and thats it till lockdown, I think I overdid the candling last time and didnt pay enough attn to temp and humidity. Also not using shipped eggs this time is def. helping my viable egg count! Now if I can make the hands off approach last till lockdown....Im only on day 9 here!
barnie.gif
I would also like to know ppls opinions on the egg carton method?

Last edited:
I think I may try the egg carton method as well.
Someone suggested the styrofoam cartons as the paper ones absorb too much of the moisture.

but, then, I don't get that when hatching they say to take eggs out of turner and lay the eggs on their sides, what do you do with the egg carton hatching method??

can someone please clarify this. thanks.
smile.png

Well, I have about half my eggs still in the bator, some of the ones I was most excited about were scrambled by PO, but at least my SQ Polish, Lav Silkie and Lav Orp are all developing. I'm really sad that none of my Coronation Sussex made it, or my one buff sussex
sad.png
. And my second set of seramas also seems like a bust, there is $50 down the tube...
hmm.png
Please Please let my Silkie, Polish and Orp hatch
fl.gif
. Should also get a few Cochins and Like a dozen RIR.

Quote:
You can take the eggs out and lay them on their sides, or leave them in the carton, I usually trim the carton down a little to give the chick zipping room. Rarely you will have a chick pip at the wrong end and die because the carton is in the way, but that is very rare. I like the carton method for hatching because it's an easier clean up, and the chicks can't play soccer with the unhatched eggs. Seems to make it easier on the chick too, because they aren't rolling all over the place.

Can I join in?? I am hatching (hopefully) for the first time and it should be April 1st!! I put in 13 eggs (Blue Orps) on March 11 , 6am...and I'm told you don't count the day you put them in. That give me lockdown on March 29 th...late or March 30 early, I guess. I candled at day 6 and removed two (clear and infertile) and left 3 with question marks. Candled again on day 10 and still have the same 3 question marks. I'm pretty sure they died early on...they were smaller than the rest and the blob seemed to "float" around inside. I still left them. I might candle again on day 15...maybe. It is very exciting but nerve wracking...who knew it would be this...well...stressful? If I get chicks out of it...I'm sure it is worth it.

update on sons class hatching ducks for me.

They have 5 eggs left all of which show good growth and when a light is shine on them they start wiggling! Looking forward to seeing them when they hatch.

Quote:
You can take the eggs out and lay them on their sides, or leave them in the carton, I usually trim the carton down a little to give the chick zipping room. Rarely you will have a chick pip at the wrong end and die because the carton is in the way, but that is very rare. I like the carton method for hatching because it's an easier clean up, and the chicks can't play soccer with the unhatched eggs. Seems to make it easier on the chick too, because they aren't rolling all over the place.

do you have a picture of what you do to the carton at hatching time? Do you leave them still with the fat end up for hatching?

Quote:
by all means , Join Us !! the more the merrier. or messier , whichever way you look at it.

Quote:

do you have a picture of what you do to the carton at hatching time? Do you leave them still with the fat end up for hatching?

I don't have a picture, but I just cut off the big nubs that stick up between the eggs, and Yep, keep the fat end up. Also if I am incubating in a carton I put holes in the bottom of each egg cup to allow for air flow.

Back
Top Bottom