APRIL HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess ur right... i wud just rather have 4 ducklings to cuddle up to rather than 3

just as this is my first ever hatch i am worried that the air sacs are too small... that theyll be dead in shell...

28 days is a long time yano... specially when your so excited for ducklings to go gaga over

Last edited:
Quote:
I am OUT of CONTROLL!
lau.gif
Got Home after 11pm Sunday with 11 dozen eggs from my cousin. 20 mixed, and 1-5 of forty different breeds [yes, 40
ep.gif
Five were cracked when I candled, patched 2 and ate the other 3
gig.gif
they were tiny banty eggs so almost had an egg for breakfast
droolin.gif
Anyway - Monday pulled 2 clears and put 8 Silver Lakenvelders in lockdown -- due tomorrow so will look for pips when I get home. I set the 130 eggs, along with the 8/12 surviving Marans that came on friday - very poorly packaged:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43761_eggs-maran_flock_007.jpg She has promised to send another dozen for the cost of the postage. I shared our 'BYC egg packaging for shipping' thread.

Yesterday I went to KY for eggs and milk and gathered 41 'test' eggs - I know they are fresh as I got them still warm from the nest [and yes, I keep 'sterilizable clogs for use there
big_smile.png
came home and stuffed the 4th bator. A half dozen each of French Blue Marans eggs and Speckled Sussex eggs are due this week, so put the finishing touches on my home-made bator and am letting it heat - adjust - heat - adjust.................................now.

I have also gotten in some "dirt therapy" as the weather is beautiful. Am terribly behind reading posts, but confess, I have been spending my early am
caf.gif
time sitting on the porch with my pretty little flock, ranging in age from 5 weeks, 7 weeks, 3 months and 6 months and integrating beautifully.

Save the Faves -- the "plug in thingy" that converted 12v to 120v so that I could plug in my hatcher on the trip to MD is called an 'inverter'. I got it at a truck stop. They com fron 150watts to 1500 watts, but for a cigarette lighter you don't want to go larger than 300 watts [which is what I have] or it will overheat [ask me how I know] and turn off. If you need more than 300 watts you need to be able to attach it directly to the car battery. Going to be working on an outdoor pen and some raised beds the rest of the week while the weather holds.

Controll is highly over rated!

Thanks for the info on the inverter! Tell me more about the overheating, please.

Yes, just relaxing & watching the flock of chickens, really is a good day to me also. Then mix in the "dirt therapy" & it's a great day. Good that you're having some nice weather. It's been raining here in Oregon nonstop, but it still hasn't stopped me from gardening; there is so much early stuff to get in now.

Will be looking for your egg posts!

i have heard... thats what makes it so much more exciting!!

Im hoping tomorrow that they go into the airsac... and then itll all be great!!

Day 13, started out with about 2 dozen and are down to 1! Just candled yesterday and the little ones are doing back flips in their eggs! lol This is our first hatch and we are all so excited
yippiechickie.gif

I had always read that goose eggs were 28 days. that makes mine due April 12. now I read somewhere that they are 30 to 33 days... is this a fact? I have 7 left in teh bator and 5 under the goose. they are only a day apart on the hatch date.

Quote:
YOU WIN! That's the most eggs that I've ever heard anyone was setting. WOW! Best wishes!

Holy crapola.. how do you keep track... that is amazing. I would be a nervous wreck...

wee.gif

I'm in! I just set them today 3/31 I have 3 buff cohin-silkie cross, 4 nankin, 6 black japanese ..due 4/20 and 4 call ducks..due 4/27

after the last hatch only getting 2 out of 24 I hope this goes well!!! I have a still air LG with an egg turner. I decided to use food coloring so I can see when the water spaces are empty ...trying to decide weather or not to try a dry hatch or keep water going. When it's not raining it's pretty dry here...any suggestions??

fl.gif
jumpy.gif
:fl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom