April Hatch Along

Pics
3 eggs pipped that I can see. 1 day early in my books but it should be okay. Better early that late right?
YEP!!! They are coming on their own time schedule...LOL!!!!!

Just did my first candling. Had to toss 26 of the 53 I set. Most were araucanas. The rest look good with good air cells. Loving the hovabator genesis with auto egg turner!
I just purchased the same incubator to replace my old hovabator I had for over 10 years...so far all is going well!!! Good luck with your hatch!!!

FIRST CHICK. ALMOST 2 DAYS EARLY. I think that they are fine even with the time difference. He zipped in less than 15 minutes, already walking after 20. Seems very healthy. Only 2 other pipped but I think that more will come with this good news.
(I am hatching bourbon red turkeys)
It is the first chick of the year. Lets go.
I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon.
I guess they do go on their own schedule.

[COLOR=333333]FIRST CHICK. ALMOST 2 DAYS EARLY. I think that they are fine even with the time difference. He zipped in less than 15 minutes, already walking after 20. Seems very healthy. Only 2 other pipped but I think that more will come with this good news.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333](I am hatching bourbon red turkeys)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]It is the first chick of the year. Lets go.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I guess they do go on their own schedule.[/COLOR]

Congratulations. So exciting.

Baby turkey's have to be so strong to get out of their shell. When I got my first turkey egg I was amazed at how hard it was to crack open.

Oh, and my buff girl is broody!!! She's been on all day and has some bald spots on her chest now!! But, she moved nests, so we had to exchange eggs so she has the correct ones. Thankfully, we want her to hatch the blue eggs so it's easy to pull the rest out from under her!!

:weee

[COLOR=333333]FIRST CHICK. ALMOST 2 DAYS EARLY. I think that they are fine even with the time difference. He zipped in less than 15 minutes, already walking after 20. Seems very healthy. Only 2 other pipped but I think that more will come with this good news.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333](I am hatching bourbon red turkeys)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]It is the first chick of the year. Lets go.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I will post pictures tomorrow afternoon.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I guess they do go on their own schedule.[/COLOR]

:celebrate if they are a little early, your temps may be a touch high, but sounds like the poult is great! Yeah!!

Quick question: we have a little coop and pen that I designed "just in case" we have a broody hen - but has ended up being used as a first house for lots of chicks as they've transitioned outdoors. Thankfully, no chicks currently reside there, so I'd like to move Buffy (she's in a prime nesting box right now, which causes all sorts of drama out in the barn). Is there a good time to do that? After a week? Today? At night? I think the sooner the better for sanity, but I also don't want to cause buff girl too much grief if there's a better time.
Here's the coop:

Quick question: we have a little coop and pen that I designed "just in case" we have a broody hen - but has ended up being used as a first house for lots of chicks as they've transitioned outdoors. Thankfully, no chicks currently reside there, so I'd like to move Buffy (she's in a prime nesting box right now, which causes all sorts of drama out in the barn). Is there a good time to do that? After a week? Today? At night? I think the sooner the better for sanity, but I also don't want to cause buff girl too much grief if there's a better time.
Here's the coop:

That's so cute!

I've read different opinions on when to make a move. I think it depends on the hen. I've moved them at different times, I even moved one during a hatch, with an egg that was pipped! (because her sister started trying to horn in on the hatch, after all that time of leaving her alone!) The kicker is you don't want her to abandon the eggs. So once you feel she is fully committed, you should be safe to move her. If you do it early on, then you aren't out as much if she abandons them, but the longer you wait, supposedly the more likely it is she will stay with them. So its a tossup!

But in the dark usually does work best, and the sooner after it gets dark, the better, to give her the entire night to settle in and stick with it.

Oh, watch for her to get off the nest and take her "daily dump"... I've found that the more committed they are, the nastier the dump is.
gig.gif
(how's that for a guideline!)

ETA - Pyxis did a pretty nice article here on the subject -- https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

Last edited:
That's so cute! 

I've read different opinions on when to make a move.  I think it depends on the hen.  I've moved them at different times, I even moved one during a hatch, with an egg that was pipped!  (because her sister started trying to horn in on the hatch, after all that time of leaving her alone!)   The kicker is you don't want her to abandon the eggs.  So once you feel she is fully committed, you should be safe to move her.  If you do it early on, then you aren't out as much if she abandons them, but the longer you wait, supposedly the more likely it is she will stay with them.  So its a tossup!  

But in the dark usually does work best, and the sooner after it gets dark, the better, to give her the entire night to settle in and stick with it. 

Oh, watch for her to get off the nest and take her "daily dump"... I've found that the more committed they are, the nastier the dump is.  :gig  (how's that for a guideline!)

ETA - Pyxis did a pretty nice article here on the subject -- https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/guide-to-letting-broody-hens-hatch-and-raise-chicks

Awesome - especially the poo. Something to look forward to, I'm sure! :pop
Great article too. I think I may try tonight as soon as it is dark. That way I can prep her coop and have it ready for her. Also, since they're our backyard eggs, if she quits I'm not out anything really.

Awesome - especially the poo. Something to look forward to, I'm sure!
pop.gif

Great article too. I think I may try tonight as soon as it is dark. That way I can prep her coop and have it ready for her. Also, since they're our backyard eggs, if she quits I'm not out anything really.

It looks really bad... and smells even worse.
lol.png

I hope I get to move Kahlua tonight too. Latte keeps giving her more eggs.
roll.png

I've ordered some Dominique eggs, hopefully they'll get here before Saturday.

I also have some bantam cochin eggs from my flock that will be going in the incubator hopefully next week.

I checked the eggs yesterday and the turner was broken AGAIN. I didn't get to fix it until this morning. This incubator is so aggravating. I'm also not sure the temps are right but I'm going to work on fixing that when I get home. I just didn't have time this morning.

I am getting the house ready to sell and it has me busy busy busy! I am going to have to end up selling nearly all my chickens within the year :( I don't think I will do any more hatching after these are done.

Back
Top Bottom