April Hatch Along

Pics
I was wondering if this would happen for you. I have had an early hatcher every single time. Leave it be and it will call out to its friends.

I've left that one alone, but I think the wrong end pip might have done it in. When I got up this morning, 3 more PIPS!!! And within an hour, a CCL cockerel. His sister took longer to zip. Now there are even more pips. Still no progress at all from the Marans egg from last night. And no pips on any other Marans either. Just the SFH and CCL.

I've left that one alone, but I think the wrong end pip might have done it in. When I got up this morning, 3 more PIPS!!! And within an hour, a CCL cockerel. His sister took longer to zip. Now there are even more pips. Still no progress at all from the Marans egg from last night. And no pips on any other Marans either. Just the SFH and CCL.

clap.gif

I can't remember if this has been pointed out on this thread or not, so please forgive me if this is repetitive info, but wrong-end pippers normally take longer. Since they don't use the air cell for their first breaths, they can take an extra 24ish hours to actually zip.

We are on day 20 and had one of the SS zip this morning. Yay! The kids even got to watch before school. One more of the SS's has pipped and one of the BR's is rockin' and a rollin'.

I managed to get video of the first hatch! (but I dont know how to post video)

Here's a pick of our new chick! (got some lungs...chirping away waiting for others to hatch)

Last edited:
clap.gif

I can't remember if this has been pointed out on this thread or not, so please forgive me if this is repetitive info, but wrong-end pippers normally take longer. Since they don't use the air cell for their first breaths, they can take an extra 24ish hours to actually zip.

I did not know that! Thank you! The two that are out seem VERY interested in the wrong end pipper. Both have gone over and pecked the pip hole. They have not pecked any of the other pipped eggs that I've observed. I hoped that was signs of life. I've heard some of the other pipped eggs chirp, but the wrong end one is pretty quiet. I think maybe the chicks know someone is alive in there though. He hasn't been pipped for 24 hours yet, so I'm not too worried. I'll leave him be anyhow since there are other pips in there that I don't want to shrink wrap by opening up the bator to pull him out and check.
We are on day 20 and had one of the SS zip this morning. Yay! The kids even got to watch before school. One more of the SS's has pipped and one of the BR's is rockin' and a rollin'.

I managed to get video of the first hatch! (but I dont know how to post video)

Here's a pick of our new chick!
Yay! Congrats. It's the coolest thing. I feel like a kid watching this!

:clap

I can't remember if this has been pointed out on this thread or not, so please forgive me if this is repetitive info, but wrong-end pippers normally take longer.  Since they don't use the air cell for their first breaths, they can take an extra 24ish hours to actually zip. 

This also is AWESOME advice!! I have reminded myself of this very thing every time I have a little malpo!

This also is AWESOME advice!! I have reminded myself of this very thing every time I have a little malpo!

Thank you! Simple and logical, although I think that 24 hours kinda gets engrained in us, so we worry. We don't think so much about the time they spend inside the egg, breathing the air cell air.

This also applies if one pips close to the right spot, correctly positioned, but still outside the air cell. Like beside the low part of the dip. ;)

Back
Top Bottom