April Hatch Along

Pics
Well, Saturday will be day 21. Now I know what you veteran hatchers mean when you say it's the last few days that are the most excruciating. I have chicks peeping at me from inside their shells. I'm talking, whistling, and almost singing to them like a maniac. It was great entertainment for me and hubby last night!
lau.gif

Humidity will be the death of me. I have two sponges and all reservoirs filled. I keep squirting more warm water in with a straw and large syringe onto the sponges and I'm able to keep an average of 65-70% but it will have to be high enough. I have a calibrated hygrometer in there, so I'm fairly confident that's a correct humidity reading. Condensation is forming along the walls next to the sponges and in the corners, so I really can't believe that it's not higher. If I add any more water at this point, the eggs will be swimming!

I have the brooder all ready to go. Just need to mix up some electrolytes for their water when they are ready to go in. Yeah... I'm not excited at all.
jumpy.gif

Well, Saturday will be day 21. Now I know what you veteran hatchers mean when you say it's the last few days that are the most excruciating. I have chicks peeping at me from inside their shells. I'm talking, whistling, and almost singing to them like a maniac. It was great entertainment for me and hubby last night! :lau

Humidity will be the death of me. I have two sponges and all reservoirs filled. I keep squirting more warm water in with a straw and large syringe onto the sponges and I'm able to keep an average of 65-70% but it will have to be high enough. I have a calibrated hygrometer in there, so I'm fairly confident that's a correct humidity reading. Condensation is forming along the walls next to the sponges and in the corners, so I really can't believe that it's not higher. If I add any more water at this point, the eggs will be swimming!

I have the brooder all ready to go. Just need to mix up some electrolytes for their water when they are ready to go in. Yeah... I'm not excited at all. :jumpy

Two suggestions. Stop adding water if you see condensation. It doesn't need more humidity than 65%. Also, lowering the temp slightly tomorrow might help the humidity stay up. I'm at 99 degrees on Day 20.

Out of the 82 chicken eggs i lockedown mon. Night.

Looks like 16 didn't hatch.
6 pipped and died.

60 new babies.

And I see a pip in one of my turkey eggs

Finally a moment to post these adorable D'Uccle pics I took yesterday morning!

Toooooo cuuuuute! :love

Well, Saturday will be day 21. Now I know what you veteran hatchers mean when you say it's the last few days that are the most excruciating. I have chicks peeping at me from inside their shells. I'm talking, whistling, and almost singing to them like a maniac. It was great entertainment for me and hubby last night! :lau

I have the brooder all ready to go. Just need to mix up some electrolytes for their water when they are ready to go in. Yeah... I'm not excited at all. :jumpy

Isn't it fun?!?! :D
Agree with tao chick though, if you see condensation, it's high enough. I get one little 4" line of small bubbles on one window.

Good luck :yiipchick

Two suggestions. Stop adding water if you see condensation. It doesn't need more humidity than 65%. Also, lowering the temp slightly tomorrow might help the humidity stay up. I'm at 99 degrees on Day 20.
Awesome. Thank you. I was concerned because I've seen higher numbers stated and I'm at higher elevation too. I'll try lowering the temp a touch tomorrow if nature doesn't cover that for me. We just had a heck of a cold snap! 70 yesterday, snow today.

I have 11 baby chicks in a brooder. I have pips and peeps like crazy. The only reason some of the chicks are out of the incubator already is I made a stupid mistake with a water reserve and I lost a chick to accidental drowning. I had to fix the problem so I took out the loud monsters.
I'm frustrated, but dealing ok, I guess.
:th

I have 11 baby chicks in a brooder. I have pips and peeps like crazy. The only reason some of the chicks are out of the incubator already is I made a stupid mistake with a water reserve and I lost a chick to accidental drowning. I had to fix the problem so I took out the loud monsters.
I'm frustrated, but dealing ok, I guess.
:th

Sorry for your loss.

Between the EHAL and what just hatched I have 102 babies in the brooder.

I kinda fell off the deep end. New cabinet and I beckoned me to keep it full.

Back
Top Bottom