April Hatch Along

Pics
None look viable to me, although I'd like to see #3 shining from the air cell end.  #2 looks like early quitter, the blood vessels collapsed, they don't have to make a full ring.

Still yet, just on day 7, you could probably leave them in without any risk of explosion (they don't look rotten). I have an early quitter still in mine, because its keeping others in place.  I probably won't remove it until I lay the others down. 

Pictures don't always tell the whole story, the second picture of #2 looks like its just slow developing, but the other picture is obviously collapsed veins.  So I'd hate to say toss them at this point.

Thank you for your input! I have decided to just leave them until I return. I wasn't sure how quickly bad eggs explode, so I am more than happy to leave them!

I hope someone else jumps in before you make a decision. The first two have black spots and no clear veins that make me think early death. The third one is hard to tell. It might be scrambled but those don't usually explode, I think. In my hatch I would toss the first two and wait on the third. I've been wrong before so hopefully you'll get more input.

Thank you! I am just going to chance that they won't explode and give them a few more days.

Four are out this morning and one died from the stickiness, I guess. I added a wet washrag in there to help get the humidity up. I've found that that's a really easy way to do it instead of trying to get down to the wells underneath my grating and shelf liner. I had to help #4 because it was sticky and partly glued, wing to head. What a pain, probably more so for the chick than for me though. I used to run into this a lot with my guinea eggs. I think from now on I will incubate the Marans by themselves, dry, and do anything else a little bit higher. Or try the sanding the aircell trick someone just mentioned (WVduckchick?)

I may have mispoke (mistyped lol) about sanding air cells. I think you sand a little of the whole egg. I'm not sure just doing the air cell would help much, since the moisture that needs to be lost isn't in there anyway. :idunno

Thank you for your input! I have decided to just leave them until I return. I wasn't sure how quickly bad eggs explode, so I am more than happy to leave them!
Thank you! I am just going to chance that they won't explode and give them a few more days.

I hope they are fine! I'm pretty sure they only explode if they are rotten, and those don't look rotten.

I am on day 21 with 20 sulmtaler eggs, nothing is happening. Just candled them and there doesn't seem to be any pips. I was previously having half decent hatches but I think I know what is the culprit. My egg turner broke and I didn't notice it for over a day. It was a quick fix but I don't know if it was good enough. Could this be the most likely problem?
Also there were some eggs in there that were on day 1 and 2 they should be fine if it was the problem right?

I am on day 21 with 20 sulmtaler eggs, nothing is happening. Just candled them and there doesn't seem to be any pips. I was previously having half decent hatches but I think I know what is the culprit. My egg turner broke and I didn't notice it for over a day. It was a quick fix but I don't know if it was good enough. Could this be the most likely problem? 
Also there were some eggs in there that were on day 1 and 2 they should be fine if it was the problem right?

Not turning for a brief time isn't usually a death sentence. Have your temps possibly been low? Do you see movement when you candle? Any drawdown of the air cells?

I may have mispoke (mistyped lol) about sanding air cells. I think you sand a little of the whole egg. I'm not sure just doing the air cell would help much, since the moisture that needs to be lost isn't in there anyway.
idunno.gif

I hope they are fine! I'm pretty sure they only explode if they are rotten, and those don't look rotten.
I did a bit more research and found this page...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-dark-eggs

They have you sand stripes down the whole side of the egg. I didn't sand as far down, and I didn't have an iodine to spray on them. So, I don't know if I hurt or help, but we'll see!

Not turning for a brief time isn't usually a death sentence. Have your temps possibly been low? Do you see movement when you candle? Any drawdown of the air cells?
It's the same exact conditions as my other eggs that got a half decent hatch rate. I know the way to incubate now. I did see movement and they look fully developed. Air cells look fine.

They have you sand stripes down the whole side of the egg.  I didn't sand as far down, and I didn't have an iodine to spray on them.  So, I don't know if I hurt or help, but we'll see!

Cool! Good luck. I'll be curious to know how it goes for you!

It's the same exact conditions as my other eggs that got a half decent hatch rate. I know the way to incubate now. I did see movement and they look fully developed. Air cells look fine.

Hmmm well maybe they are just slow pokes. :fl

They have you sand stripes down the whole side of the egg. I didn't sand as far down, and I didn't have an iodine to spray on them. So, I don't know if I hurt or help, but we'll see!
Interesting! Thanks for the link. I'm going to file that information away if I have trouble with my current batch of Marans. I'm a bit worried about them since their air cells are so much smaller than the other eggs they are in the bator with right now. All were the same age and local source.

Finally a moment to post these adorable D'Uccle pics I took yesterday morning!

Awwww! Congrats on those cuties!

Back
Top Bottom