April Hatch Along

Pics
That was pretty incredible. I've never seen a leg present first!!

I don't think I have either! But it was thrashing around, egg just rotating. I think it would have eventually worn itself out and died. Seramas have a habit of knocking a big hole before zipping. The crack above the "S6" looks like it pushed hard and just broke the shell instead of zipping it, and I'm guessing when it pushed, its leg slipped out the opening.

I'm supposed to get 3-4 inches of snow tonight. I hate the weather that I've gotten lately. All rain then snow once every 5 nights. Due to weather history we should only get 1 inch for all of the month of may. I sure hope that will be true but it doesn't seem like it.

I heard a peep. I HEARD A PEEP!!!!! Someone is alive in there!!!!!

Today is day 20, I was starting to wonder if any chicks had made it because I haven't seen any eggs rocking, not heard any peeps, etc. But finally! Hatch may be a day or two late and that's fine, as long as they hatch!

I'm so excited! Yesterday I candled the BBS Orps and Ameraucanas. As I expected, the Ams were all developing on track. I ended up pulling the three questionable Orps from day 7, upon opening them they were scrambled or quit very early. That left three Orp eggs, I saw movement in one of them (with a partially reattached air cell), but the two others were very questionable. Their air cells are both horribly whopperjawed, both detached and both much larger than all the other eggs. I wasn't able to tell even if they were developing on track as they looked nothing like the others. I almost pulled them, but decided to leave them until today when I could take pictures (to get other opinions) and make a decision by lockdown. So I snuck away into the incubator room and candled Orp9 and almost immediately saw movement! Yay! A big fat smiley on that one! Then on to Orp11... it looks nothing like any other egg I've candled at 14 days. The black blob is tiny. If you turn the egg it almost looks clear on one side, but on the other is a blob. I hadn't made up my mind yet, but I decided to just sit and watch it for a while. If I didn't see movement I would pull it... IT MOVED!! THREE TIMES!! Why does it look so odd? At this point I am still not expecting anything to hatch from these eggs, but I can't help but hope.
Here are some pictures of Orp11:

The pictures don't do too much justice to show how empty the one side looks. Any ideas? The last picture shows where I saw most of the movement.

Thanks to my buck goat, I was in too much hip pain to drive over to friends house to see my hatching. But last I heard was 7 . Now on good pain meds so should be able to get over there tomorrow to get them.

I don't think I have either!  But it was thrashing around, egg just rotating.  I think it would have eventually worn itself out and died.  Seramas have a habit of knocking a big hole before zipping.  The crack above the "S6" looks like it pushed hard and just broke the shell instead of zipping it, and I'm guessing when it pushed, its leg slipped out the opening.

I noticed the "giant crack pip" with this last group of 55 Flowerys that I got here locally. Only a few zipped all the way around - most just made the crack bigger and bigger until they could push hard enough to break the shell in half. I only had one at the end that had a problem with it and needed assistance - but I think he just made the pip hole so big, and he waited so long, that the membrane dried out before he was ready to zip.

I heard a peep. I HEARD A PEEP!!!!! Someone is alive in there!!!!!

Today is day 20, I was starting to wonder if any chicks had made it because I haven't seen any eggs rocking, not heard any peeps, etc. But finally! Hatch may be a day or two late and that's fine, as long as they hatch!

Thats awesome!!! I just saw a rocker in mine!!! We have a ROCKER!!!!! I am so ridiculously excited, hatch day isn't till Monday,, I think its gonna be a loooong weekend. How soon before hatching do they usually start to rock?

I'm so excited! Yesterday I candled the BBS Orps and Ameraucanas. As I expected, the Ams were all developing on track. I ended up pulling the three questionable Orps from day 7, upon opening them they were scrambled or quit very early. That left three Orp eggs, I saw movement in one of them (with a partially reattached air cell), but the two others were very questionable. Their air cells are both horribly whopperjawed, both detached and both much larger than all the other eggs. I wasn't able to tell even if they were developing on track as they looked nothing like the others. I almost pulled them, but decided to leave them until today when I could take pictures (to get other opinions) and make a decision by lockdown. So I snuck away into the incubator room and candled Orp9 and almost immediately saw movement! Yay! A big fat smiley on that one! Then on to Orp11... it looks nothing like any other egg I've candled at 14 days. The black blob is tiny. If you turn the egg it almost looks clear on one side, but on the other is a blob. I hadn't made up my mind yet, but I decided to just sit and watch it for a while. If I didn't see movement I would pull it... IT MOVED!! THREE TIMES!! Why does it look so odd? At this point I am still not expecting anything to hatch from these eggs, but I can't help but hope.
Here are some pictures of Orp11:

The pictures don't do too much justice to show how empty the one side looks. Any ideas? The last picture shows where I saw most of the movement.

I'd like to look at the pics on my computer instead of mobile, I just can't tell much, but are you incubating with the eggs upright or laying down?

Thats awesome!!!  I just saw a rocker in mine!!!  We have a ROCKER!!!!! I am so ridiculously excited, hatch day isn't till Monday,, I think its gonna be a loooong weekend.  How soon before hatching do they usually start to rock?  

Congrats!! It's ok to be excited!! :D
I see the most rocking when I raise humidity and lay my eggs down, as the chick is getting into position to hatch. And then again after they have externally pipped. I don't see much between those times. But I've wondered if maybe they just don't rock as much because of the rubber shelf liner I have them laying on.

Back
Top Bottom