April Hatch Along

Pics
Go chickies go!!!! Be prepared with some tubing and a syringe of some sort to add water through that ventilation hole. Or, if the sponge is under the ventilation hole, I have been know to use a turkey baster to squirt water in. My incuview had trouble holding any type of moisture for long periods and I had to frequently add water.
That's exactly how I've been adding water! And I carefully positioned the sponge in a location well within range of the long plastic straw that I've been using.
big_smile.png

I have had HORRIBLE luck hatching Marans. I've been told by a breeder to INCREASE the humidity, but that goes against EVERYTHING I have read. So, I'd love to hear what else you can find out!!! I have a batch of Maran eggs I'm setting for a friend. I'd love to be able to hatch some chicks for her!!!

Thanks!!
Seriously, that sound crazy! I have Marans in with Crested Cream Legbars and Swedish Flower Hens and all eggs were the same age. The aircells on the FBCM are so much smaller than the other two breeds even though my humidity was rarely over 30% during incubation. I'm actually kinda nervous about them come hatch time!

Good news all around!

Jessimom, that's just crazy. I think whoever told you that was on drugs.
lol.png
I know - I can't imagine trying to increase humidity when I now know that it's harder for these to lose moisture. I am hatching some seramas that I'm trying to keep the humidity at 50% for them. That seems kind of crazy too, but I have had horrible luck with those as well.

Good thing I have several incubators!

Last edited:
Did second candling last evening on day 11. Will do another this Friday and again on day 18 - 4/24, at lockdown.

Have 5 that are Real Big "?" - Very large misshapen air cells, at least one may be a "quitter" as the embryo does not seem to have grown and is very "sloshy".
Set those 5 apart from the other 30... and hoping for the best!
I've read and studied tons for the last several years about chickens, incubating, brooding, raising and caring....and I still know nothing!!
Hope these little lives don't suffer because I'm so clueless!

24 new babies that got moved to brooder.

Have another 21 out. Had 3 zipped but dead.

So 48 have hatched so far.

My wellies are holding out none of those yes

Thank you.

I think I had too many in the hatcher.

Instead of the humidity jumping it went down. The first ones that hatched popped right out.

Had to work and just got home. Several were zipped and stuck had to assist out. Almost glued.

So after I got the dry chicks and some shells out I refilled the troughs with warm water and humidity is back up to 75. There are still several pipped.

I hope I didn't mess up what didn't hatch yet. As it took my a little to do the above.

But if didn't assist. wouldn't have what's drying in there now.

One completely zipped the top butt was dry head was in the small end and was dead.

Thank you.

I think I had too many in the hatcher.

Instead of the humidity jumping it went down. The first ones that hatched popped right out.

Had to work and just got home. Several were zipped and stuck had to assist out. Almost glued.

So after I got the dry chicks and some shells out I refilled the troughs with warm water and humidity is back up to 75. There are still several pipped.

I hope I didn't mess up what didn't hatch yet. As it took my a little to do the above.

But if didn't assist. wouldn't have what's drying in there now.

One completely zipped the top butt was dry head was in the small end and was dead.
I'm hoping and praying for the best for you!! Hang in there!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom