April Hatch Along

Pics
I am now up to 5 Anconas(and another pipping) and 4 Cayuga(out of 6 eggs). One Cayuga died in shell, perfectly formed....just could not get out of that shell and I did not realize it had pipped and was trying to zip because of the splotchy color of that egg. :( For those that don't know....Cayugas lay gray to dark gray eggs. These were all very dark and one was splotchy. If this other pipping Ancona hatches...I will have 50% hatch rate with them. Of course I will see what happens as the day progresses. :)

I had traded with my neighbor for the Cayuga eggs....don't think I will ever do that again. They are not good layers but from watching his I can attest to the fact that they are great foragers and extremely winter hardy. Not very loud either. And they are beautiful with that green sheen on their black feathers. :)

Harlequins on lockdown....these are for ME! My heart belongs to the Harlequins. LOL

One thing I have noticed about having my broody hatch eggs is that the chicks just seem so much more lively than when I incubate - they're just over a day old and they scrambled up the little ramp back into the nest - no problem!

I always seem to have one or two that straggle and can't find their way up the ladder for a few days. But after a week or so, they usually all get it. (I've actually lost a couple that I didn't check fast enough, and they got too cold outside)

But once they all get it, its adorable to watch them scramble in.

Aww, that is great to hear! I'm not surprised that a fluffy mama is more invigorating than a plastic box. I've never had a broody hatch eggs before, so I am excited for an incubator-free hatch.

Congratulations!

Be forewarned... broodiness is a contagious disease. I thought mine had cleared after 10, but now 2 sisters are trying to sit together. But I keep taking their eggs. I may have to give in and give them some...

Congrats to everyone and their adorable babies
love.gif
Boy...gone a day and so much has happened! So final count on my ducks...four beautiful babies! The last one hatched yesterday
celebrate.gif

Here he is
big_smile.png

And all four snuggled together
love.gif
No more hatching for me for now! Time to enjoy my babies
wee.gif

love.gif
Congrats!

So last night I thought I saw a pip in one of the Orp eggs. Sure enough this morning there was a baby trying to zip. As the day went on the little one was loud and struggling. Well I got a call that meant I need to make an overnight trip to Ohio tomorrow morning. Which lead to the fact that a choice had to be made. Help the egg tonight at 24 hours from pip, or take a chance that it would die and my husband wouldn't look in on it and notice (he's really not the chicken person in this household haha). Since the remaining three eggs hadn't pipped, I decided to assist. It was a good thing too, the little guy was so tired and his membrane had dried to the point that he couldn't push his way out. Even after I removed the top part of his shell, he wasn't able to get out. Some warm water and q-tips later, my sole Blue English Orpington was hatched, in my hand. Hopefully five hours is enough to dry out and fluff up so he can join the 12 Ams in the brooder. At this point I'm pretty sure none of the other three will hatch, but I'll leave them in the bator until I get home.

clap.gif
great job!

I am now up to 5 Anconas(and another pipping) and 4 Cayuga(out of 6 eggs). One Cayuga died in shell, perfectly formed....just could not get out of that shell and I did not realize it had pipped and was trying to zip because of the splotchy color of that egg.
sad.png
For those that don't know....Cayugas lay gray to dark gray eggs. These were all very dark and one was splotchy. If this other pipping Ancona hatches...I will have 50% hatch rate with them. Of course I will see what happens as the day progresses.
smile.png

I had traded with my neighbor for the Cayuga eggs....don't think I will ever do that again. They are not good layers but from watching his I can attest to the fact that they are great foragers and extremely winter hardy. Not very loud either. And they are beautiful with that green sheen on their black feathers.
smile.png

Harlequins on lockdown....these are for ME! My heart belongs to the Harlequins. LOL

Congrats!! Where's the pics??
big_smile.png

Have you hatched in black east indes?

Nope...haven't hatched any. I haven't even seen them anywhere. Have you hatched them?
smile.png

ETA: I know they are beautiful ducks too though.
big_smile.png

Nope, have a friend that had some. She only had 2 that survived some predator attacks, turned out to be both female. She has since sold them though. Beautiful ducks, for sure.

But now I have my Call ducks from my March hatch anyway
big_smile.png

A couple pics, they are almost 6 weeks old now.

Looks like we are done at 6!! I candled the ones left and was surprised how big the air cels are from lockdown. They are not small at all, so not sure what went wrong with the eggs from my big hen. :-( No movement in any and some look like the are just dark blobs of liquid now?!

I have 10 eggs collected for another hatch and will continue to collect for a few days, then I am ready for a May hatch along!! How many of you are hatching for May?

Looks like we are done at 6!! I candled the ones left and was surprised how big the air cels are from lockdown. They are not small at all, so not sure what went wrong with the eggs from my big hen. :-( No movement in any and some look like the are just dark blobs of liquid now?!

I have 10 eggs collected for another hatch and will continue to collect for a few days, then I am ready for a May hatch along!! How many of you are hatching for May?

Not bad! Congrats!

Dark blobs of liquid as in sloshy, loose in the shell? If so, trust me, DO NOT crack them open. I had a broody that had a few unhatched. The sloshy ones had me curious. Oh good grief, the stench!
sickbyc.gif

And what happened with the one that had a bit of gunk dragging when it hatched? Was it just egg gunk? Did it heal ok?

My muscovy is sitting on 12, another on 8 and counting. I've got #5 of 6 chicken eggs zipping right now, and 4 muscovy in the incubator with 1 lone guinea... Haha Haha. I really have to slow down. (or maybe not
1f62e.png
) Just fence more yard lmao

Back
Top Bottom