April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

Thanks for sharing the article! Interesting reading. What kind of hatch rate are you getting from the eggs with damaged cells?

I only get about 40- 50% of them to hatch. Before I was lucky to get 1. I have had some detached aircells reattach but the ones that are really bad end up with funky aircells once they start getting turned. From what I have read all the major organs are developed by day 5. It seems those 2 extra days make the chick stronger and even with the cramped quarters some of them do hatch.

I just set 37 eggs! Now the anxiety begins LOL! I may add 3 more tomorrow, I just couldn't wait for to set them! So my hatch day will be April the 12th! I can't wait to see how good this hatch goes! Second try at this and I was pretty successful with the first ! Keeping my fingers crossed that this one goes good too!
fl.gif

I only get about 40- 50% of them to hatch. Before I was lucky to get 1. I have had some detached aircells reattach but the ones that are really bad end up with funky aircells once they start getting turned. From what I have read all the major organs are developed by day 5. It seems those 2 extra days make the chick stronger and even with the cramped quarters some of them do hatch.

40-50% is pretty darned good for damaged air cells! I will give that method a try if we have any damaged ones this time around. Thanks!!

Setting for the very first time next week. March 26-27. 3 blk jersey giants, 6 welsummers, 10 assorted purebreds, 6 Cochins, 10 assorted polish. Still air.

Wondering what would be the advice if they show up shipped on different days?

Can you store the early arrivals in a cool place until you can set the eggs all at the same time?

Just candled the eggs, it's day 5 here, and most of them look great! One had a crack in it that I had to take out, a few definite clears that I'll keep in there, and a few that were so thick-shelled I couldn't tell. I'll have definite numbers (hopefully) on day 7 when I candle/weigh :)

Hey, I'll join! I set eggs yesterday, due to hatch on April 11. 36 eggs total, all shipped:
12 BLRW
5 Cream Legbar
5 Bantam Cochin
6 Blue Ameraucana
4 White Silkie
4 Light Sussex

I only ordered 24 eggs, but he sent 37 (I dropped one while unwrapping). So generous! I didn't have room in my Brinsea, so I had to get my old hovabator out of the attic.

Yep. Garage would probably work. Thanks. Looking forward to becoming an Incubation Addict.

Be careful what you wish for. I started incubating last July with the intentions of only wanting a few chickens for eggs. I built one coolerbator for that and then became so addicted that I built another for hatching. I soon realized that wasn't enough and ended up buying a Sportsman and using the coolerbators just for hatching. I ran into a problem just the other day with all of them being full and had eggs coming in so I had to build another coolerbator just for them.

I now have over 100 chickens (most of them under 4 months) but I am starting to see the fruit of my labor because my older birds are starting to lay.

Be careful what you wish for. I started incubating last July with the intentions of only wanting a few chickens for eggs. I built one coolerbator for that and then became so addicted that I built another for hatching. I soon realized that wasn't enough and ended up buying a Sportsman and using the coolerbators just for hatching. I ran into a problem just the other day with all of them being full and had eggs coming in so I had to build another coolerbator just for them.

I now have over 100 chickens (most of them under 4 months) but I am starting to see the fruit of my labor because my older birds are starting to lay.
I really hope my husband doesn't read this!

Back
Top Bottom