April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

I was going to set today but with the heavy snow I'm going to wait till tomorrow for fear of a power outage. About 10 inches or more of wet snow coming all day and night.
We had 3 bouts of thunder snow already.

Incubating my first eggs ever. Not my first experience hatching eggs (reptile breeder), but my first experience with chicken eggs.

Eggs were shipped from two different sellers. I set them on 3/21, and am using a Hovabator 1588 with auto turner. Due date is April 11th. So far, so good! Ended up starting with 42 eggs, had just enough room. Phew!

I've got in there:
F1 & F2 OE
Marans of several different varieties
Welsummers
BLRW
Ameraucana

Three had hairline cracks when received and were tossed, and one BLRW had several seep spots after just a few hours of incubation so it went byebye as well. I cracked it open and the contents were in good condition so I'm not sure what happened. As of today, there's 41 eggs in there. Will start candling tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone. :)

Last edited:
Hello Bitterroot! Good to see another crazy Montanan that ships in eggs:) best of luck! I'm on my first shipped egg experience too...hatching starts next week.

Incubating my first eggs ever. Not my first experience hatching eggs (reptile breeder), but my first experience with chicken eggs.

Eggs were shipped from two different sellers. I set them on 3/21, and am using a Hovabator 1588 with auto turner. Due date is April 11th. So far, so good! Ended up starting with 42 eggs, had just enough room. Phew!

I've got in there:
F1 & F2 OE
Marans of several different varieties
Welsummers
BLRW
Ameraucana

Three had hairline cracks when received and were tossed, and one BLRW had several seep spots after just a few hours of incubation so it went byebye as well. I cracked it open and the contents were in good condition so I'm not sure what happened. As of today, there's 41 eggs in there. Will start candling tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone. :)
We have the same hatch day! I set my eggs at 10 pm on the 21st. I have 38 in there right now!!!! I am going to candle tonight and see what I can see!!!! Good luck to everyone that has eggs hatching!!!!
fl.gif

Hello Bitterroot! Good to see another crazy Montanan that ships in eggs:) best of luck! I'm on my first shipped egg experience too...hatching starts next week.

I'm always happy to meet other friendly MT folks. :D Good luck to you as well, hopefully we'll both be up to our eyeballs in chicks soon. Pictures. Pictures!

We have the same hatch day! I set my eggs at 10 pm on the 21st. I have 38 in there right now!!!! I am going to candle tonight and see what I can see!!!! Good luck to everyone that has eggs hatching!!!!
fl.gif

I'm getting the candling itch as well. I mean, what would it hurt to eyeball a few while I have the incubator open anyways this evening to add some water, right?
gig.gif
Let us know what you see. Good luck!

hello all ,
I am on my second time trying to hatch in an incubator. First time was only 3 out of 18 . so hope this time works out better! Good luck to all of you ! The more i read the more I get confused lol turn dont turn wash dont wash aaaah help !
idunno.gif

Eggs are can be fertile for around three weeks after there is no male. Depending on the females age, which has an effect on her ability to "hold sperm"
Good luck. I love KC Ducks! Be sure and share pictures.

Eggs are can be fertile for around three weeks after there is no male. Depending on the females age, which has an effect on her ability to "hold sperm"
Good luck. I love KC Ducks! Be sure and share pictures.

Different things work for different people. We all have our ways, and we all try new ones.
The first time I incubated eggs I did everything wrong. I didn't check humidity. It got too hot in the incubator .TWICE.. I didn't turn...then turned too much. Opened the incubator. Moved new chicks to the brooder too soon.
EVERY egg I set hatched that time.
Haven't had that happen since.
SO,...you just never know.

I should not be allowed to post today! My first reply..to the lady setting KC some how didn't get the quote in it.
Then my second comment today has my own Quote. I quoted MYSELF?
Was supposed to be cityhenhouse.
AHH snowstorms and egg stressing.
Happy Sunday everyone! Forgive me my brain cramps!

Different things work for different people. We all have our ways, and we all try new ones.
The first time I incubated eggs I did everything wrong.  I didn't check humidity.  It got too hot in the incubator .TWICE..  I didn't turn...then turned too much. Opened the incubator. Moved new chicks to the brooder too soon.
EVERY egg I set hatched that time.
Haven't had that happen since.
SO,...you just never know.

I'll second that. My first hatch was shipped eggs. I didn't let them settle, constantly fiddled with the temps, candled every day, and added way too much water. I still hatched 80%, and they were 100% pullets! That was some serious beginner's luck.

Since then I've had good and bad hatches, but have figured out what works best for me most of the time. But you never really know, especially with shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom