APRIL Quail Hatch-A-Long!!! (come join!)

Just got my jumbo wild Coturnix quail eggs in the mail yesterday :D !! Got them in the incubator a few hours ago. I know there is that huge 3,000 something page hatch-a-long but I thought I would make a smaller, more trackable one. Anyways, please come join if you have some quail eggs (or other eggs) set for hatching! You are also more than welcome to join the thread if you just want to see pictures and videos of baby chicks!!

(I should mention this is my first time HATCHING quail eggs) :D:D:D:D:D
Yay! I too am hatching my first quail eggs, and they started on 4/5! I am sooo impatiently waiting! 🤞🏻🤞🏻 Sure hope some hatch!

Oh no! Im sorry! They are truly great.

I candled last night! I didn't candle all of them ofc because there are 29 in there. The ones I did candle all seemed to be developing great! Besides on double yolker I put in just for fun. However, when I received my package of eggs the box was severely damaged. Luckily Myshire Farm does an amazing job packaging eggs and only one egg was cracked! But the air sacs are not their normal shape, hopefully they will all still be okay. Here is a picture of the eggs. Day 5 now but I candled last night.

And yes, the temperature says 96 F but thats just because I opened the incubator and its thermometer reads cold.
I wish I could figure out how to candle the eggs!! I can’t see anything at all when I do it 😩😩😩

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_085649.jpg
    IMG_20210414_085649.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 5
I am brand new to quail. My coturnix hens started laying the first week of March so I'm nearing the end of the second batch in the incubator. Eleven out of 24 hatched in the first batch. So far there are 9 out of 28 in the second batch.
There was a power outage during both runs. Power was off for six hours in the first batch and they hatched between day 19 to 23. The power was only off for 2-3 hours in the current batch. They started hatching on day seventeen and it is now day 20.
I need to work on the candling set-up because I can't see anything. Photographing them in the brooder does not work very well but maybe I can pull them out for a few minutes for a baby picture.

My eggs are day 10 today. Other than the power outage, doing terrific. (and a couple of temp drops to 99.0) but shouldn't be a bad hatch, just a bit late. I also got a new incubator and chukar eggs in the mail yesterday.:D

My eggs are day 10 today. Other than the power outage, doing terrific. (and a couple of temp drops to 99.0) but shouldn't be a bad hatch, just a bit late. I also got a new incubator and chukar eggs in the mail yesterday.:D
Oh great! Chukar!!! I really want to raise them someday. But ive been told they cant handle wet conditions and im in western Washington. So maybe I can build a rack of XL quail cages and keep them in there.

It hasn't been too dry here in pa, either. I'm going to keep them in a big flight pen with many perches and dry spots. I did hear that they can't be released and expected to survive in wet conditions, but as long as I have heavy cover and brush in the pen, they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom