Arabian Horse Enthusiasts (photo thread)

VERY nice pedigree. Blue's last foal was out of a Tornado daughter. They are nice mares...good and solid.

When Blue was coming up 2 and Fame was about 3 they were in a stallion exhibition at Summit Farms (then Bridges Arabians). Yes, Fame was a Varian horse.

When we first got into the business in the '80's one of the vacations we took was a pedigree tour where we hit a lot of So-Cal ranches and then out to Las Vegas and Logandale to see Wayne Newton's set-up. We went to Sheila Varian's, the Khemosabi ranch in Riverside, Green Gate Farms, the place with Barbary and a couple of other places down in Santa Barbara. A childhood friend of mine was the secretary or something of the local area Arabian horse association and she arranged a tour of Armand Hammer's Arabian barns.... Beautiful grounds and chockfull of National winning horses as he had a penchant for buying whatever mare won. (Back in the 1980's money was plentiful and lots of it flowed into the Arabian horse business, but this guy was a magnate before all the tax breaks and his barn was spectacular and immaculate and shiny). I remember the trainer was Polish and ever so gracious. Eventually my husband and I moved to the Sierra Foothills/Gold Country and visited often BruMarBa (home of Barich de Washoe and Simeon Shai). Big barns always threw the best parties and events and the BruMarBa picnic was great fun.

At horse shows, though, all cordialness went out the window and everyone was in it to win it at all costs. I saw and experienced some pretty cutthroat stuff. So glad to exit the show circuit as it was not fun. I'm hoping the ethics of the Arabian horse industry has cleaned up, but.... Sigh..... Some horses won by sheer juice, you know? Conformation had nothing to do with the ribbon.

My biggest blunder claim to fame is that I was offered Baskabella at the aforementioned exhibition as I had done business with the Shelleys before and turned her down (at a discount, no less) as I just wasn't into the National Showhorse scene. Grace (a boarder at the barn Blue was at) then purchased her and then shortly thereafter moved her to Sherman Arabians (a half block away) for training and within 18 months Baskabella swept the Nationals in performance AND halter. Oops! Baskabella then sold for, like, a third of a million and Grace's kid's college education was set. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Oh, well!

Yeppers, fond memories of horsey times and horsey friends.

Somebody post more pictures now or I'll ramble forever....

I went to several stable parties at Bentwood Arabians in Waco Texas. They were always a lot of fun. I took my Mom and Dad one year and they got a large charge out of it. They had Glen Campbell sing Happy Birthday to their stallion, Ibn Moniet El Nefous. They were an Egyptian Arabian farm and he was very famous in those days.

I visited Ansata after they moved to Mena Arkansas, but never saw them when they were in the Lufkin area. I have had a couple of mares with Ansata lines. I will find pictures of them soon. Lexi has Ansata lines too. Remind me and I will post the pedigree links if you guys want to see them.

Megan (@14) on Farrah not very flattering pictures of either one of them but I'm digging.

Last edited:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, MORE, MORE , MORE !!
caf.gif

Here is a straight Egyptian Stallion (Ansata lines) that I had at my place for a while, he belonged to my sister. These horses looked much better in person than they do in this crappy photography, so go easy on them!

PWA Gaemil - http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/pwa+gaemil

He is a son of Ansata Halim Shah that the Forbes (Ansata) sold to the Crown Prince of Qatar. He died within five months of his arrival there.

And this is the filly he produced out of my Sassy.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, yeah yeah! That extra "T" always does that to me. Thanks for keeping me straight! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Yes, those boys in those days were something else. He really put his stamp on them didn't he? I always liked Khemosabi too. Boy he was a flashy son of a gun!

I loooove Khemo! He was the first Arabian horse that really caught my eye when I was a kid and I've always loved him ever since! When I was a teenager and still lived in Finland, I wrote a letter to Ruth Husband and asked for a picture of Khemosabi. lol She sent me a very nice letter back with a booklet about the horse. I still have it.

Not bad at all!! I am not familiar with the dam line through Linden Girl, but other than that, Risky's pedigree is actually partially close to my mares.
big_smile.png

I saw Khemosabi a year or two before he passed. What a GORGEOUS eye he had. And at his advanced age still a major contender... Great to the end.
You lucky girl, you!!

Oh no don't stop rambling!!!

Here you go:

What a nice mare! I wish there were more horses like this in the ring these days. I feel like people are focusing on the front end action on these saddleseat horses and they're starting to lack in the back end department. Baskabelle though, has all of it!

Does any of you remember Larry Bailey? I don't know exactly what would have been his time era in the show ring, but I do know he's been all over the place. He worked for Willomar for some years. He was also here on the East Coast and around the Montana area and who knows where else. Worked with Dr. Kale Sr and Jr both, La Croix, etc.. They had the beautiful chestnut stallion Sumarai here in Region 16 years ago.

Here's Sumarai (aka Sammy) with Blair Allen, no idea what year this would have been.

Sammy and Tracy

Sammy with Tracy. These are old pictures, quality not so great due to poor scanning. lol This picture might have been taken in Montana before everyone moved to the East Coast.

I never met Sumarai, but I do have his daughter Springs Request here now, and Spring's daughter Buffy. We also have a Sumarai son, Sumarai's Legend (aka Bart), in the barn as a boarder. Actually, Spring and Bart are full siblings.
big_smile.png
I love having a whole family in the same barn! And what makes this all even more fun, is that Sumarai actually lived in this same barn good 20 years ago in the exact same stall as Buffy today. None of this was EVER planned. It just sort of happened. Life has a way of doing things sometimes...

Here's Sumarai's Legend (Bart)

Last edited:
I loooove Khemo! He was the first Arabian horse that really caught my eye when I was a kid and I've always loved him ever since! When I was a teenager and still lived in Finland, I wrote a letter to Ruth Husband and asked for a picture of Khemosabi. lol She sent me a very nice letter back with a booklet about the horse. I still have it.

Not bad at all!! I am not familiar with the dam line through Linden Girl, but other than that, Risky's pedigree is actually partially close to my mares.
big_smile.png

You lucky girl, you!!

What a nice mare! I wish there were more horses like this in the ring these days. I feel like people are focusing on the front end action on these saddleseat horses and they're starting to lack in the back end department. Baskabelle though, has all of it!

Does any of you remember Larry Bailey? I don't know exactly what would have been his time era in the show ring, but I do know he's been all over the place. He worked for Willomar for some years. He was also here on the East Coast and around the Montana area and who knows where else. Worked with Dr. Kale Sr and Jr both, La Croix, etc.. They had the beautiful chestnut stallion Sumarai here in Region 16 years ago.

Here's Sumarai (aka Sammy) with Blair Allen, no idea what year this would have been.

Sammy and Tracy

Sammy with Tracy. These are old pictures, quality not so great due to poor scanning. lol This picture might have been taken in Montana before everyone moved to the East Coast.

I never met Sumarai, but I do have his daughter Springs Request here now, and Spring's daughter Buffy. We also have a Sumarai son, Sumarai's Legend (aka Bart), in the barn as a boarder. Actually, Spring and Bart are full siblings.
big_smile.png
I love having a whole family in the same barn! And what makes this all even more fun, is that Sumarai actually lived in this same barn good 20 years ago in the exact same stall as Buffy today. None of this was EVER planned. It just sort of happened. Life has a way of doing things sometimes...

Here's Sumarai's Legend (Bart)

The name sounded familiar but didn't quite click so I did some internet searching and found this:

https://www.facebook.com/LarryBaileyHorseWorld

and the fact that "Sumarai actually lived in this same barn good 20 years ago in the exact same stall as Buffy today" is chill bump time!

The name sounded familiar but didn't quite click so I did some internet searching and found this:

https://www.facebook.com/LarryBaileyHorseWorld

and the fact that "Sumarai actually lived in this same barn good 20 years ago in the exact same stall as Buffy today" is chill bump time!

Yes, that's Larry's Facebook page. Not very often updated as he has no idea how to use a computer himself and refuses to learn. lol Larry's sort of been out of the horse world for several years due to multiple myeloma and other health issues, but he is now officially cancer free and doing ok. He is the one that bred my four mares and he has been helping me to go forward with their training..and mine also! lol

Yes, his career is remarkable to say the least! AND fighting cancer to boot.......
celebrate.gif

To have him helping you and your girls, well all I can say is you have certainly been blessed!!!

Here's one of my amusing Arabian horse stories.

My girlfriend and I were riding our Arabian stallions side by side in our local hometown Christmas parade. She was in "costume" and I was riding western. (She made her costume with a white bed sheet and a rug.) The boys were doing so well, paying attention to us, minding their manners even though there was a mare directly in front of us that was in season, trying her best to capture their attentions. About halfway through the parade I blew my bit and it was hanging down the side of my boy's face. Instead of the disaster that this could have been, my wonderful boy continued on, finishing the parade like nothing had happened. Oh and did I mention this was his FIRST parade! I was soooo proud of him!!! After finding out that Jennifer and I had ridden stallions in the parade, the lovely parade committee passed a rule that stallions were not permitted in any future parades any longer. We were both hot as pistols over that little ruling.
somad.gif
We thought it should have been, no unruly mares that were in heat. But it was one of those, you can't fight city hall, deals.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom