Aracauna/Ameracauna/Easter Egger

Ok, at the risk of sounding incredibly STUPID....what is the difference between the three breeds?

I bought 6 chicks in April that were sold as Araucanas....however, someone told me that they are EE's. I am very confused and don't quite understand. They are all a golden brown with dark brown/black, have greenish colored legs, and muffs growing. Here is a photo:

Picture212-1-1.jpg

Picture062.jpg

HELP?!?!?!

I cant see the pics, photobucket is acting up again. If they have greenish legs, they are definitely easter eggers, crossbred chickens with the gene for tinted eggs. Ameraucana is a breed, Araucana is a breed, Easter Eggers are what hatcheries are passing off as purebreds and they aren't. The links that were given should help. Ameraucana has ear muffs and beards, Araucanas are rumpless with ear tufts rather than muffs.
Susan, I think you're right. That is not a standard Ameraucana color.

Last edited:
I keep reading that the easter eggers have green legs so I am not sure what I have received from Mt. Healthy. They were sold as Araucanas (which I have since learned are pretty much not available to the general public) and I don't think that they are easter eggers since they have brown legs but the ameraucana.org website does not show the colors that I have. I ordered two pullet chicks that are a dark chocolate brown on their back and they have a lighter chocolate (almost like chocolate milk) on their wings. They are only 1 week tomorrow so I can see some of the wing feathers and they brown and black and white (I guess I would call it barring?). Could anyone tell me what I may have? Oh, and they have they longer fluff directly under their eyes and I think under their beaks!

12261_003.jpg
[/img]

12261_004.jpg
[/img]

Quote:
the longer hair under the eyes are muffs and under the beak is a beard. that rules out auracauna. what color are their leggs? (can't really tell from the pics)

They don't ALWAYS have green legs or even muffs and beards for that matter... but yours look ADORABLE!!!!! Such cute fluffy little faces! I'm sure they will be very lovely Easter Eggers when they grow up! I had a dark one hatch out of my EE eggs and she is VERY pretty! That's the best thing, I think, about EEs is that since they do not have to conform to any color variation or rules... you can get some of the most beautiful and unique looking chickens! AND they lay colored eggs to boot! It's a bonus!
big_smile.png

Here's one of my favorites.... I'm not sure if it's a roo or pullet.... but I'm guessing roo because of the bold colors!

100_4885Medium.jpg

Quote:
LOL looks almost like my Boots that you did a portrait of except my Boots has feathers on his feet. Darn Cochin that got in with the Araucana. LOL Sure is a cutie pie:)

Easter Eggers do not always have green legs, just alot of the time. They can have proper slate leg color, but not be an accepted color for Ameraucanas. Just remember that Ameraucanas and Araucanas, the later being quite rare to find, are true breeds with specific standards and an Easter Egger may have the gene to lay blue or green eggs, but can is a crossbreed that can lay brown eggs or pinkish tan eggs. They can be any color feathers, legs, eyes, etc.

Thanks for all of the information! I am looking forward to seeing what my easter eggers look like. I love to see all of the pictures of everyone's birds. They come in such different colors!

I know this is an old topic but I have been trying to figure out the diff between the three breeds. Ameracauna Auracauna and Easter Eggers. I read the posts here and still don't know nuffin. Guess I will study it some more.
But a few years ago when someone gave me my second batch of one of the three, I just called them my Cauna Caunas. It works. I love them no matter who or what they are. Most personable little birds around. Course my little Barred Rocks and Rhodies are pretty loving as well.

Back
Top Bottom