Araucana chick????

The reason we all know she is an easter egger is because feed stores dont sell TRUE Araucana's or Ameraucana's. They like to pass them off as Ara. or Ame. but they are really a mixed breed chicken. If she has muffs, which are different then tufts, then you have an easter egger. Tufts are feathers or sometimes a single feather and muffs are more of a beard.

Oh okay, I figured there is a possibility she is a mutt. That is okay though. I am not a breeder they are pets. I was just curious what she was since I was told she was a Buff Orpington and she was in the cage with the others. She is obviously not a Buff Orpington though. The feathers that poke out are on both sides of her cheeks. I am knew to the chicken world could you please tell me what Easter Egger means. I thought it was a nick name for Araucana. I will try to put a picture up but, I can't do it till tomorrow it to dark outside.

Thanks,
Michelle

Maybe post a picture and we could help you out better. Be able to tell you more of what we think she might be. Easter egger just means mutt basically. Kinda like when you say a dog is Heinz 47. You kinda dont really know what they are, just a mixed breed. Its a ever misunderstood breed/term. Hatcheries like to sell what they call "Araucana/Ameraucana also know as easter eggers". So people assume that what they have is either a Araucana or an Ameraucana. When really its a mixed chicken and is only a easter egger. Which means they can lay a green, pink, brown, or some other color egg. If you want Araucana's or Ameraucana's you need to get with a breeder and buy from them. Im not saying that a small feed store couldnt actually have true Ara. or Ame. but I would say Im about 99.9% sure that they wouldnt. As I have heard a few people who say they hatch too many chicks and sell the extras to the feed stores. Im not an expert in either the Ara. or Ame. but I do have a few Araucanas. When I first bought chicks I bought them from Ideal and of course they call them "Araucana/Ameraucana also know as easter eggers." So I assumed I had Ameraucana's. It wasnt until I found this website and learned the difference between the three. There was nothing wrong with my little EEs, I wasnt and still am not, a breeder. So I didnt really care. I just wanted the green or blue eggs. Come to find out one did lay a green egg, but the other one layed a brown egg.

Hope this helps you out some. Good luck with your chicks and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

it will probably turn out to a white or buff EE when she is older. I have seen MANY of these at my feedstore, and I could understand why they would become mixed up w/ a BO.

Love EE's great birds!! Most likely will lay blue or green eggs!

lucky!

Back
Top Bottom