Araucana chicks - what gender? (pics)

Your blue splash is definitely a cockerel. He might look something like this when he grows up. The remainder of the chicks are pullets from what I can see.

YardChicken016.jpg

Wow, that's a gorgeous bird! I can only hope he does. Funny how he's even in the same pose w/ the one leg up.

So last question oh wise chicken owners - for the $$ I paid for the eggs on ebay, do I have quality birds? I'm happy, but then again, it doesn't take much.

smile.png

Quote:
If you got them from me they are the best. LOL Here's a kind of group photo of some of my young birds. I had to set the bucket down or be gang tackled. They do like their AM treats.

YardChicken008.jpg

Last edited:
Mine came from Arizona so no on that one.

Now here's another question, when does tufting show up, right now I'm not seeing any, but a few people in the past thought the blue chick would get them.

For the most part they show up right away if you know what you're looking for. Here's a pic of my only tufted... you can see the tuft by her ear. She has small tufts for sure... and of course is tailed
tongue.png

13210_694395.jpg

2883193869_34d2dea1c6.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Nope, you're out of luck. Tufts are obvious from day one if they are going to have them. You only need though one bird with tufts and then you will have them established in your flock. I didn't know there were breeders in Arizona.

That's where the ebayer was from. I'm assuming because I have two that are rumpless that I'm okay w/ some of the breeding. I would have loved a tuft or two though.

Back
Top Bottom