Araucana hatching eggs?

Cackle doesn't sell Araucana
You’re right. I haven’t seen any hatchery with Araucana.
I think they’re unique birds with special traits endemic to them. I think they should preserved. It sounds like they can be traced back to the blue egg origins. Besides the chines blue layer that nobody has in n. America.

I would think tufted would be detected at hatch
Yeah, but breeders also need non tufted to keep in their pens.
Rumpless too
Very few are hatched tailed if bred right. I was given the tailed culls in the batch I got and only had 1 tailed extra. I'm pretty sure I ordered 10 or so chicks. All the ones I ordered were rumpless.

Yeah, but breeders also need non tufted to keep in their pens.

Very few are hatched tailed if bred right. I was given the tailed culls in the batch I got and only had 1 tailed extra. I'm pretty sure I ordered 10 or so chicks. All the ones I ordered were rumpless.
Where did you order from?
I think most breed rumpless, but the awesome araucana link I posted from California has tailed also. I do like that he has had them for decades and it’s a good deal on the eggs, I think he sends like 42 eggs. That would give a lot to choose from.
I was thinking another advantage to hatching eggs is I would get to see the egg they hatch from and the obvious advantage is not having chicks go through the rigors of shipping.
I would do chicks if they were local though.

Where did you order from?
I think most breed rumpless, but the awesome araucana link I posted from California has tailed also. I do like that he has had them for decades and it’s a good deal on the eggs, I think he sends like 42 eggs. That would give a lot to choose from.
I was thinking another advantage to hatching eggs is I would get to see the egg they hatch from and the obvious advantage is not having chicks go through the rigors of shipping.
I would do chicks if they were local though.
Chicken Scratch. But they're one of two places that may have given my flock mareks, so I wouldn't go with them.

That’s unfortunate. I’m sorry to hear that.
Here’s some pics of araucanas from the net that I liked.
IMG_1028.jpeg
IMG_1021.jpeg
IMG_1022.jpeg

I have two girls with tufts (one is a hen I got from my shipment, the other is her daughter) and had a few males with tufts from the shipment too that didn't stay so I could keep my hen. Even if you only get one or two with tufts, if you constantly hatch eggs from those birds, you should get more tufted in only a year or so. I only hatched the one egg I think this year (broody hens in a mixed flock right now so I didn't pay much attention to egg color), but she ended up with tufts. You can tell within a few days (maybe by rubbing their cheeks, you can feel the organs at a day, but I'm not sure honestly if you can) if they have tufts. Personally. Muffs are way easier to see at a day old.
20230104_150548.jpg
20230809_084147.jpg
20231023_145016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom