Araucana Lethal gene ?

Lefty looks like my little white boy that I thought was a girl. Till he crowed a while back! The small comb had me thrown off. He is as small as his brooder mates hatched on the same day and I just knew he was a she! Blast!

Yeah, I think Josie is a duckwing, as I call them. Thank goodness, because I kept calling my two duckwings and was hoping I was right. Then saw some others the same color and was told duckwing.
I have my two in with a splash right now but will put them in with other roos once I have collected more eggs from them. Mine are not tufted but are rumpless.

Sorry to butt into this conversation but its very interesting.

I have one splash roo who is rumpless and two hens, both wild in color - one is rumpless and one is tailed. No tufting on anyone. I'd love to find my roo a hen that would be appropriate coloring for him to breed but I just don't see any conversation about that coloring on an araucana. Is he unusual and an unacceptable color for the breed?

IMG_2079.jpg

This is him a few months ago.

Last edited:
Oh hes nice . I have a pullet and a cockeral similar in color .

I just got $ dozen araucana eggs today . Picked them up local so i should have good luck with them . Keeping my fingers crossed for some rumples tufted chicks
fl.gif

Must be loosing it i might have some extra chicks if i get a good hatch on these eggs

If you breed a splash with a black you should get all blue chicks. If you breed with a blue you should get 50/50 blues and splash. If you breed with another splash all offspring should be splash.

Hi Poultrykeeper,

You're on. If you have a good hatch, let me know. Funny, I was just in your area over the weekend. I went from the swap in Milford, NH to the Big E to the Outdoorsman Show. Talk about a lot of driving.

Anywho, I would love to share in your chicks. I would love a tuft or two if you get any but I also realize beggers cannot be choosers.

Glad to hear my handsome roo isn't the result of lousy breeding.

I love that splash roo! The genetics with the splash, blues etc just fascinate me. What would happen if he was to be with just the whites? Would all the chicks be white or could some be splash or blue? or did I miss this discussion?!
hu.gif

Must be loosing it i live 2 minutes from the Big E . My father Is the special Events Director . Did you go to the POultry show that was there .

I Just read some ones post saying if you bred you blue splash roo to a black hen all babies would be blue and i want some blue chicks and it just so happens i have a rumples clean faced black hen . Maybe they can get can get together for some alone time and we can split her hatch ? Ovcourse all the babies would be clean faced but the blue color would be nice

Back
Top Bottom