Araucana sexing

Buckeye11

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Southern Ohio
I just wanted to make sure that I have 3 roosters and a hen before I start getting rid of roos. What age do you recommend for butchering for meat? They are 19 weeks old.

Think I see the same, roos in the first three pics, and what looks like a pullet in #4. Do you know how much they weigh? I always figure on they are going to be used for soup type things, so usually wait until they are 6-8lbs if they will get that big before winter... this time of year when they can't forage much anymore I usually just cull them for convenience and the scrawny ones go to dog food.

Think I see the same, roos in the first three pics, and what looks like a pullet in #4. Do you know how much they weigh? I always figure on they are going to be used for soup type things, so usually wait until they are 6-8lbs if they will get that big before winter... this time of year when they can't forage much anymore I usually just cull them for convenience and the scrawny ones go to dog food.
I agree.

Thanks everyone!, I just didn't want to make any mistakes. I'm going to have around 13 hens so I was going to keep one rooster. I think I'm going to go with my copper maran but would the Araucana make a better rooster if I'm free ranging. The maran is easier going than the Araucana but for hen protection I think the Araucana could be a better rooster. The girls seem to do better with the Maran and he actually fits the standards better for his breed since the Araucanas have no tufts. Here is the copper maran.

Thanks everyone!, I just didn't want to make any mistakes. I'm going to have around 13 hens so I was going to keep one rooster. I think I'm going to go with my copper maran but would the Araucana make a better rooster if I'm free ranging. The maran is easier going than the Araucana but for hen protection I think the Araucana could be a better rooster. The girls seem to do better with the Maran and he actually fits the standards better for his breed since the Araucanas have no tufts. Here is the copper maran.

There won't be much difference between the roosters for free ranging. Go with the one that fits your plans genetically and has the best personality.

Don't give away either of them for soup! You should be able to make $10 off either one of them, maybe $15 for the actual Araucana, as flock roos for breeding. People will pay money for purebred roos, especially hard to find ones like the rumpless Araucana, even though he's missing the tufts.

I'd give you $10 for the Marans, if you're coming up toward Columbus any time soon. I need to get rid of my current Marans, he's not as gentle with the ladies as I'd like.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom