Americauna (maybe?) pullets or Roos?

atho128

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
I’m just starting my backyard flock. Got 4 chicks that were “wing sexed” and reportedly Ameracaunas. Starting to panic that I may end up with four Roos when I really only want hens. Thoughts on these guys or girls and what breed they really are? They are 3-4 weeks now which I know is too early,

Attachments

• IMG_5948.jpeg
    IMG_5948.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5942.jpeg
    IMG_5942.jpeg
    702.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5941.jpeg
    IMG_5941.jpeg
    738 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5937.jpeg
    IMG_5937.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5930.jpeg
    IMG_5930.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5934.jpeg
    IMG_5934.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5924.jpeg
    IMG_5924.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5935.jpeg
    IMG_5935.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5927.jpeg
    IMG_5927.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5925.jpeg
    IMG_5925.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 8
Got 4 chicks that were “wing sexed” and reportedly Ameracaunas.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Wing sexing can only be done on genetically slow crossed to fast feathering birds (or vice versa, not sure which way it needs to go). Are they from a hatchery or individual?

Spelled with an i as in actually an Easter Egger.. *maybe* wing sexing is possible if parents are known.

Spelled with au.. pure bred Ameraucana cannot be wing sexed.. according to my understanding. True Ameraucana will always be sold under their color variety.

What I'm seeing, is disguised some by the red light.. but looking more like an EE. Some home hatchers.. may not know the difference and may not intentionally be deceptive, just misinformed.

I can't make out bearding or none or leg color or many of the other things that might give clues.. better pics in clear light please? :pop

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Wing sexing can only be done on genetically slow crossed to fast feathering birds (or vice versa, not sure which way it needs to go). Are they from a hatchery or individual?

Spelled with an i as in actually an Easter Egger.. *maybe* wing sexing is possible if parents are known.

Spelled with au.. pure bred Ameraucana cannot be wing sexed.. according to my understanding. True Ameraucana will always be sold under their color variety.

What I'm seeing, is disguised some by the red light.. but looking more like an EE. Some home hatchers.. may not know the difference and may not intentionally be deceptive, just misinformed.

I can't make out bearding or none or leg color or many of the other things that might give clues.. better pics in clear light please? :pop
From a home hatcher, so probably Easter eggers like you said. Here are a few more pics without the red light, will try to get better individual pictures tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_5976.jpeg
    IMG_5976.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5975.jpeg
    IMG_5975.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5973.jpeg
    IMG_5973.jpeg
    307.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5972.jpeg
    IMG_5972.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5969.jpeg
    IMG_5969.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5966.jpeg
    IMG_5966.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5964.jpeg
    IMG_5964.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5963.jpeg
    IMG_5963.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5962.jpeg
    IMG_5962.jpeg
    510.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    538.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 5
I agree it's early but what the heck, let's take our best educated guess right?
I would guess today you have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel based on coloration and pattern development alone. The 1 cockerel possibility could be a pullet as well if the color turns in the next few weeks, but today I'm taking a leap and saying 3 pullets so far, 1 boy.

They are very cute chicks! I would say that they are Easter Eggers, not enough fluffy beard peach fuzz, so not Ameraucana.
I think its too early to tell, maybe post again in about a week and tag me, like this @GirlsHuntToo, so I can see it right away. :)

From a home hatcher, so probably Easter eggers like you said. Here are a few more pics without the red light
Oh my, so cute! :love

Thanks, I needed that this morning. :highfive:

Lot's of home hatcher's do also have true Ameraucana and may also know the fast cross slow feathering thing (or other things).. so I try not to jump to conclusions. Unfortunately many others may read about and miss important details.

Cute beards too. Definitely Easter Eggers with that variety of color patterns.. which is one of the things I love about them.. the ease of telling them apart since they haven't been bred to conformity.

The grey one.. is known as and will be blue when it grows up, gorgeous. It's comb looks maybe more like a modified pea than pea or has something else going on?? (that little split/divet) It shouldn't be concerning, just looking at any possible gender/breed clues.

The comb on the chick at the top of row number 2 in post #4.. that's a big comb.. though it is still too early to know for sure.. I'd be surprised if it's a pullet. But still hopeful they all are! :fl

Just now I noticed more pics added to post #1.. which do clearly show green legs from yellow skin.. confirming EE. And there's that big comb again too, same chick mentioned in previous paragraph. Hmm!

I agree it's early but what the heck, let's take our best educated guess right?
I would guess today you have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel based on coloration and pattern development alone. The 1 cockerel possibility could be a pullet as well if the color turns in the next few weeks, but today I'm taking a leap and saying 3 pullets so far, 1 boy.
I would love for that to be the case! Which one are you thinking is the boy? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom