Araucana thread anyone?

One of my araucana chicks has been on the sickly side. She has a messy bottom and isn't growing like the others. I treated for cocci just in case. She's being raised with a dozen or so other chicks and is the only one like this. Are araucana chicks more sickly than other breeds or is it just this chick? I'm not sure how else I can help her thrive.

Elizabeth the chick. Napping on my lap after I cleaned her up.
20200907_234119.jpg

One of my araucana chicks has been on the sickly side. She has a messy bottom and isn't growing like the others. I treated for cocci just in case. She's being raised with a dozen or so other chicks and is the only one like this. Are araucana chicks more sickly than other breeds or is it just this chick? I'm not sure how else I can help her thrive.

Elizabeth the chick. Napping on my lap after I cleaned her up.
View attachment 2324406
I just started with Araucana and hope someone with more experience can help you. Perhaps posting in the forum for sick chicks can also provide answers for treatment. I just wanted to mention I live in north Florida (saw you're in Georgia) and we've been getting storms almost every day. The humidity is awful and my chicks in the outside brooder are always wet, despite changing the bedding twice a day. They haven't been happy and look a bit fatigued. I put a heat lamp over head to help keep the area dry. As soon as I did that they were noticeably quieter. Best wishes for you and the baby chick. ♥

I just started with Araucana and hope someone with more experience can help you. Perhaps posting in the forum for sick chicks can also provide answers for treatment. I just wanted to mention I live in north Florida (saw you're in Georgia) and we've been getting storms almost every day. The humidity is awful and my chicks in the outside brooder are always wet, despite changing the bedding twice a day. They haven't been happy and look a bit fatigued. I put a heat lamp over head to help keep the area dry. As soon as I did that they were noticeably quieter. Best wishes for you and the baby chick. ♥
They are inside and have never been outside yet. That's why I didn't understand why the chick isn't well. My chicks that outside with a broody hen are actually doing fantastic. Lol. But it sure has been soggy lately. Thanks for the thoughts.

Have you looked up araucana breeders in your area? They are few and far between. I did get mine from ebay. I think there is a breeder 4 hrs from me. :p

The closest I'm getting is several states away (not surprised honestly) I'm a little worried about eBay just because of how uncommon this breed is now. I'm afraid I'll get EEs or Amerucanas

Back
Top Bottom