Araucana thread anyone?

720603DC-6936-4832-B7A2-2B0E91893D30.jpeg

I started to cull my small Araucana hatch this past week. These two are on my watchlist. They are cleanface BBR.

F490FAB4-7A32-4A43-98C4-D2EF6AE4EBA6.jpeg

A lot of folks diss Ed Sheppard because of his management of his flocks, but the birds that I've grown out from him have been super friendly. I only ended up keeping a few hens and 1 rooster. He doesn't really breed towards SOP, but I have not been attacked once by the sole rooster. He's not that big looking, but I enjoy his presence.

6010716D-C349-4F40-B6DC-8DDCF3A2BB7E.jpeg

Def eats less than my Marans rooster. At least Edd's stock lays blue eggs consistently. No green or blue green eggs. Good, blue medium size eggs.

A764A45F-61FB-4D03-8EDA-2E0AD75D2277.jpeg

Here's an update on my 2nd gen stock from Edd. Mom was cleanface, but dad had tuffs so daughter inherited double tuffs. She's non-standard but I love the wild coloring.

2D66D441-6CB8-4243-B343-46243F73107A.jpeg

This gal is a duckwing. Has massive right tuff and a tiny tiny left tuff. Hoping for some babies later this fall-winter. Her comb is getting redder everyday.

D96AC32F-59C9-40E4-802B-259352B9407D.jpeg

She does not like taking photos. She is my only tuffed duckwing Araucana pullet. She has a few sisters that are cleanface. Hope to put them with a tuffed male and see what I get :).

View attachment 2332434
Here's an update on my 2nd gen stock from Edd. Mom was cleanface, but dad had tuffs so daughter inherited double tuffs. She's non-standard but I love the wild coloring.

View attachment 2332440
This gal is a duckwing. Has massive right tuff and a tiny tiny left tuff. Hoping for some babies later this fall-winter. Her comb is getting redder everyday.

View attachment 2332441
She does not like taking photos. She is my only tuffed duckwing Araucana pullet. She has a few sisters that are cleanface. Hope to put them with a tuffed male and see what I get :).
Where did you get your birds? They're nice looking

Where did you get your birds? They're nice looking

Purchased hatching eggs from instate folks - CA. Araucana eggs are more fragile than other breeds. If you do decide to hatch eggs in an incubator, my average was 25-30% hatch rate. When the chicks hatch, you'll get tailed, partial tailed and rumpless so unless you intend to keep all, you'll be stuck with some non-rumpless chickens. Do the research before buying birds or eggs. Ask questions :).

Purchased hatching eggs from instate folks - CA. Araucana eggs are more fragile than other breeds. If you do decide to hatch eggs in an incubator, my average was 25-30% hatch rate. When the chicks hatch, you'll get tailed, partial tailed and rumpless so unless you intend to keep all, you'll be stuck with some non-rumpless chickens. Do the research before buying birds or eggs. Ask questions :).
Yikes. That's rather worrying. I'm definitely going to try and find someone willing to ship chicks/older birds then if I can cause I'd have to have eggs shipped to me too

Yikes. That's rather worrying. I'm definitely going to try and find someone willing to ship chicks/older birds then if I can cause I'd have to have eggs shipped to me too

Older birds are great, but expect to spend about $500 for a pair. Shipping costs just as much as the bird, but if you're serious about the breed it's a good investment and will pay off itself once you get some babies going. Individual eggs can cost up to $6.50/each with no guarantee that it will hatch. Do the math :).

Back
Top Bottom