Araucana thread anyone?

I figured I'd call and see if they even had some, they had a few breeds that sounded like they didn't sell them anymore and just never girly rid of the page for some reason

No commercial hatchery sells Araucanas. Profit margin is not there. They'll state, these birds are derived from Araucanas/Ameraucanas but it's all BS. Their way of marketing to unsuspecting new chicken owners. Mypetchicken, Cackle and Meyer finally started carrying true Ameraucanas last few years. All other still market EE as Ameraucana/Americana/Araucana/etc. If you want Araucanas, you will have to seek out an Araucana breeder. Ask tons of questions, if they are passionate about their birds they will be willing to share. Most mean people planning to just make a buck will not be able to answer your questions or will get offended when you ask them about their breeding practices. If can not explain their breeding practices, they are not a breeder - just a backyard chicken owner. They are no better than commercial hatcheries - maybe even worse.

Yikes. That's rather worrying. I'm definitely going to try and find someone willing to ship chicks/older birds then if I can cause I'd have to have eggs shipped to me too

25-30% is considered good for Araucanas. Shipped eggs in general doesn't matter the breed, if you can hatch 50% that's pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Was any of the growouts Lavender?
No, unfortunately not. I got 1 black and 2 whites. None have tails, one has tufts.
20200916_174134(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom