Araucana thread anyone?

Just had to share this picture. I had a hen lay a tiny egg. Must have just been a misfire. I have it next to a normal araucana egg and and my barred leghorn egg. Being so small it also got a double dose if blue pigment!

Smoothmule, that hen on the right of your avatar is amazing! Just had to say.

On the blue/gold chick, - That's not a blue birchen, blue birchens have absolutely no gold or red or tan coloration. He's a blue with gold leakage from having one duckwing or wheaten gene showing through (but recessive) You can either use him with duckwings if needed (but you'll get more like him too) or you can use him with solid BBS if needed (but again will need to cull out any offspring with leakage) or you can use him as a pet or cross-breeding rooster. :)

Smoothmule, that hen on the right of your avatar is amazing! Just had to say. On the blue/gold chick, - That's not a blue birchen, blue birchens have absolutely no gold or red or tan coloration. He's a blue with gold leakage from having one duckwing or wheaten gene showing through (but recessive) You can either use him with duckwings if needed (but you'll get more like him too) or you can use him with solid BBS if needed (but again will need to cull out any offspring with leakage) or you can use him as a pet or cross-breeding rooster. :)
Thank you! They are better each year :) I'm actually hatching black cockerels with no leakage finally. I can't wait to use them.
And, Oh my goodness, the chocolate large fowl hens chicks are looking spectacular. The cockerels are breeding now and I have eggs in the bator. The pullets in that grow out pen are both from the chocolate cross project and some are pure black Araucana's but you can't tell them apart other than the eye looks different and the skin on the projects are white, not yellow. At this time, the only ones laying in that pen are the 2 large fowl chocolate hens, they both lay big blue eggs. From these hens and their sons (who all carry chocolate) I may get my first chocolate cockerel :) !!! I cannot wait for that. When the pullets in that pen begin to lay, I could get some more chocolate pullets from them but I'll have to move the chocolate hens out if I want to know who's laying what then. I'll just put the chocolate hens back with the Hollands for a while then.

The pullets in that pen are all black to black breeding now so I am very excited to have them for next year too but several should be laying anytime now, they're slow maturing and I like that, they are larger than their mothers. The other nice thing about the chocolate project has been no red leakage in the cockerels because the chocolate hens are Chocolate Orpington/Black Araucana cross hens so there isn't that red in them. I am so excited for next spring's black Araucana chicks and my Chocolate project should really take off.

Oh and I have 2 Dun chocolate Sumatra hens in that grow out pen but they have been outrunning the boys or something because I'm not getting fertile eggs from them. If the chocolate carrying boys finally get to these hens, I can't wait to see dun chocolate to recessive chocolate chicks. All of the cockerels are rumpless.

Back
Top Bottom